Finding the value of constants in f(x) as x->0

  • Thread starter Thread starter XenoWolf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constants Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
XenoWolf
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm not looking for the complete answer (from what I've read in the intro posts, you won't/shouldn't give it to me anyways)... I just need to figure out where to start. This is my first time taking calc, and I'm pretty lost. Thanks in advance.

Homework Statement



Find the values of the constants a and b such that

lim (x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0) [ ( [tex]\sqrt{a+bx}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] ) / x ] = [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I've attempted to solve it a couple of ways in an algebraic style, but the fact that there are three 'variables' has me stumped. I also tried using the limit property that states the limit of h(x)=f(x)/g(x) as x->c is L/K (I hope I got that right.. hah.) but the fact that K ends up being zero screws that up...

I'm just completely lost as to where I need to start the problem. I don't know if I should be solving for a variable, doing trial-and-error stuff, using some kind of limit property, etc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let
[tex]f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{a+b\,x}-\sqrt3}{x}=\frac{g(x)}{x}[/tex]
and solve for [itex]g(x)[/itex]

What's the limit [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}g(x)[/tex] ?