1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the value of constants in f(x) as x->0

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    I'm not looking for the complete answer (from what I've read in the intro posts, you won't/shouldn't give it to me anyways)... I just need to figure out where to start. This is my first time taking calc, and I'm pretty lost. Thanks in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the values of the constants a and b such that

lim (x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0) [ ( [tex]\sqrt{a+bx}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] ) / x ] = [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to solve it a couple of ways in an algebraic style, but the fact that there are three 'variables' has me stumped. I also tried using the limit property that states the limit of h(x)=f(x)/g(x) as x->c is L/K (I hope I got that right.. hah.) but the fact that K ends up being zero screws that up...

I'm just completely lost as to where I need to start the problem. I don't know if I should be solving for a variable, doing trial-and-error stuff, using some kind of limit property, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    Let
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{a+b\,x}-\sqrt3}{x}=\frac{g(x)}{x}[/tex]
    and solve for [itex]g(x)[/itex]

What's the limit [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}g(x)[/tex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?