Finding the Value of k for No Solution in a System of Equations

• Thread starter GLprincess02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the question is asking for which value of k the system of equations has no solution, and the answer is k=9. This can be justified by either subtracting the second equation from the first or by noticing that putting k=9 makes the left-hand sides of both equations equal while the right-hand sides are different, indicating inconsistency. Subtracting is a quicker method to determine the answer.
GLprincess02
Another question on my homwork reads: "For what value of k does
[tex]\left\{\begin{array}Kx+2y=12\\9x+2y=8\end{array}\right[/tex] have no solution? Justify."

Is the answer 9 or -9, or neither? I don't understand it, nor can I justify it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, there should be a k in front of the x in the 1st equation.

Try subtracting the 2nd eqn from the 1st. Does this help?

So then it would be 9? Because it would then be 0 = 4, and that would make it inconsistent?

Yes, or to put it another way (k-9)x=4 has no solution for k=9, since division by 0 is not defined.

Ok that makes sense. But one more thing...how can you determine whether to subtract the 2nd equation from the 1st, or add them both together?

Because 2y appears in both equations. Subtracting makes them cancel out so you can get an expression for x.

In fact, you don't have to subtract at all, you can just spot that putting k=9 will make the LHS of both equations the same, whereas the RHS of both are different. This shows inconsistency in the set of equations.

However, I just suggested subtracting, since this would enable you to spot the answer more quickly!

Ohhhh ok it all makes sense now. Thank you very much for all your help.

Related to Finding the Value of k for No Solution in a System of Equations

What is "Another homework question"?

"Another homework question" refers to any additional or follow-up question related to a homework assignment.

Why do I have to answer "Another homework question"?

Answering "Another homework question" is important for completing your homework assignment and furthering your understanding of the material.

Where can I find "Another homework question" to answer?

"Another homework question" can typically be found on the same platform or source where you found the original homework assignment or in additional materials provided by a teacher or professor.

How should I approach answering "Another homework question"?

The best way to approach answering "Another homework question" is to carefully read and understand the question, gather any necessary information or resources, and apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to formulate a well-supported answer.

Can I ask for help in answering "Another homework question"?

Yes, it is acceptable to seek help or clarification from a teacher, professor, tutor, or peer in answering "Another homework question." However, it is important to ensure that the final answer is your own and properly credited if using outside sources.