1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the value of p so that the series converges

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    find the possible values of p so that the following converges

infinity
    [tex]\sum[/tex]1/(ln(n)*np)
    n=2

what i thought of doing was integrating to find the values of p such that the integral will give me an answer not infinity.

[tex]\int[/tex]dx/(ln(x)*xp) from 2-infnity

i thought of using substitution as
    t=ln(x)
    x=et
    dt=dx/x

[tex]\int[/tex]dt/(t*et(p-1)) from ln2-infinty

but i have no idea how to continue from here, i think that if p<=1 then my integral will diverge since lim(t->inf) will not be 0, but i am not sure, i know that with a series if lim(n->inf) is not 0 then the series diverges, is this true for integrals as well,
    even so, if i know that p<=1 diverges, this does not automatically mean that anything else converges, since lim(n->inf)An=0 doesnt mean necessarily converges, how do i find the values for p where i KNOW the integral diverges??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2
    Your argument works for p <= 1.

To do arguments for p > 1, use a comparison test.. Show that each term (n>2) is less then
    1/n^p.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    so do i say:
    for any n>2 my series is smaller than 1/n^p, and if p>1 1/n^p converge, therefore mine must also diverge, as for p<1 i already proved when i said lim(n->inf) not 0, so my series must diverge, therefore the series only converges when p>1,

do you see a better way of solving this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook