Finding the Vertex Coordinates of a Rectangle In Cartesian Space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of all 4 vertices of a rectangle in any orientation, given the length and width, as well as the coordinates of its center and vertex A. The idea of using a vector from A to the center to find the coordinates is mentioned, and the use of a rotation matrix is considered. However, it is suggested that solving for the intersection of two circles may be a simpler approach. The issue of two possible solutions for the location of B is also addressed.
Saladsamurai
I am hoping to find the coordiantes of all 4 vertices when the rectangle is in any orientaion knowing the length l, the width b, the coordinate of its center mark (xcen,ycen), and the coordinate of vertex A as shown below:

This is NOT HOMEWORK so although I think it is possible to do, I am not sure that it is.
rectangle.jpg

Any ideas?

I am thinking of using the vector that points from A to the center somehow... I know that if I double its length then I have arrived at the vertex C... but how to extract those coordinates, I cannot see.

EDIT: Here is a drawing that better illustrates what I am thinking. The Blue Rectangle is the one I want to to find the vertices for. I know all information in blue.

The Black Rectangle shares the same A vertex and is in what I have DEFINED to be standard reference position (SRP).

I could find the angle of the vector that points from A to the center rc of the black rectangle and compare it with the angle of that of the blue rectangle r'c

I know that the difference [itex]\theta - \theta '[/itex] should be the angle that all vertices should carve out. I just can't see how to make the actual calculations of their cartesian coordinates?

rrrrrr.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking around online and a Rotation Matrix seems promising.

Though I am finding a lot of definitions of a Rotation Matrix, I am not finding many practical examples... so I am not exactly sure what it does.

Okay :smile: Here is where I am at: Updated Diagram for reference:

r.jpg

rc and r'c are the vectors from A to the centers.

In order for all vertices to get from the standard ref posotion to the new positions, they must all rotate through the angle phi correct?

If A=A' is locate at the point (x0, y0), then we have the points

A(x0, y0)
B(x0, (y0+b)) *Taking down as +Y and Right as +X
C((x0+L), (y0+b))
D((x0+L), y0)

Now to use a Rotation Matrix to get the new coordinates of A' B' C' D'
I am a little confused.

Do I use the coordinates? Or the vector components of rBA,
rAD, etc... ?

FOR EXAMPLE: If I am looking at the vectors rBA and r'BA

And I know that to get from rBA to r'BA I rotated through the angle Phi. How do I get the new coordiantes of B out of the deal? :confused:

Hi,

While this can be done using rotations, I don't think it's necessary.

We know that B is a distance b from A, and a distance rc from the center. In other words, it's at the intersection of two circles. You'd just need to set up the equations and solve them.

One problem I see, which is that there are two solutions for the location of B. You'll need another condition or some way to specify which solution is the desired one.

1. What is a vertex in Cartesian space?

A vertex in Cartesian space refers to a point at which two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet. In the case of a rectangle, there are four vertices, each representing a corner of the rectangle.

2. How do I find the vertex coordinates of a rectangle in Cartesian space?

The vertex coordinates of a rectangle can be found by identifying the x and y coordinates of each corner of the rectangle. These coordinates can be determined by measuring the distance from the origin (0,0) to each corner along the x and y axes.

3. What is the formula for finding the vertex coordinates of a rectangle in Cartesian space?

The formula for finding the vertex coordinates of a rectangle in Cartesian space is (x,y), where x represents the distance from the origin to the left or right side of the rectangle and y represents the distance from the origin to the top or bottom of the rectangle.

4. Can the vertex coordinates of a rectangle be negative?

Yes, the vertex coordinates of a rectangle can be negative. This occurs when the rectangle is located in a quadrant other than the first quadrant of the Cartesian plane. In this case, the x and y coordinates of the vertices will have negative values.

5. Why is it important to know the vertex coordinates of a rectangle in Cartesian space?

Knowing the vertex coordinates of a rectangle in Cartesian space can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, it can be used to calculate the area and perimeter of the rectangle, as well as to determine its position in relation to other objects in the Cartesian plane.