1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Vertex Coordinates of a Rectangle In Cartesian Space

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    I am hoping to find the coordiantes of all 4 vertices when the rectangle is in any orientaion knowing the length l, the width b, the coordinate of its center mark (xcen,ycen), and the coordinate of vertex A as shown below:

This is NOT HOMEWORK so although I think it is possible to do, I am not sure that it is.
    rectangle.jpg

Any ideas?

I am thinking of using the vector that points from A to the center somehow... I know that if I double its length then I have arrived at the vertex C.... but how to extract those coordinates, I cannot see.

EDIT: Here is a drawing that better illustrates what I am thinking. The Blue Rectangle is the one I want to to find the vertices for. I know all information in blue.

The Black Rectangle shares the same A vertex and is in what I have DEFINED to be standard reference position (SRP).

I could find the angle of the vector that points from A to the center rc of the black rectangle and compare it with the angle of that of the blue rectangle r'c

I know that the difference [itex]\theta - \theta '[/itex] should be the angle that all vertices should carve out. I just can't see how to make the actual calculations of their cartesian coordinates?

rrrrrr.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2
    Looking around online and a Rotation Matrix seems promising.

Though I am finding a lot of definitions of a Rotation Matrix, I am not finding many practical examples... so I am not exactly sure what it does.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    Okay :smile: Here is where I am at: Updated Diagram for reference:

r.jpg

rc and r'c are the vectors from A to the centers.

In order for all vertices to get from the standard ref posotion to the new positions, they must all rotate through the angle phi correct?

If A=A' is locate at the point (x0, y0), then we have the points

A(x0, y0)
    B(x0, (y0+b)) *Taking down as +Y and Right as +X
    C((x0+L), (y0+b))
    D((x0+L), y0)

Now to use a Rotation Matrix to get the new coordinates of A' B' C' D'
    I am a little confused.

Do I use the coordinates? Or the vector components of rBA,
    rAD, etc... ?

FOR EXAMPLE: If I am looking at the vectors rBA and r'BA

And I know that to get from rBA to r'BA I rotated through the angle Phi. How do I get the new coordiantes of B out of the deal? :confused:

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi,

While this can be done using rotations, I don't think it's necessary.

We know that B is a distance b from A, and a distance rc from the center. In other words, it's at the intersection of two circles. You'd just need to set up the equations and solve them.

One problem I see, which is that there are two solutions for the location of B. You'll need another condition or some way to specify which solution is the desired one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook