1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Volume of the Intersection of Two Cylinders

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the intersection of the two solid cylinders x2 + y2 ≤ 1 and y2 + z2 ≤ 1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Apparently this is done most easily by cartesian coordinates. I have the integral:

[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-x^2)} ^{sqrt(1-x^2)} \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} 1 dzdydx[/tex]But, this is disgusting to integrate (as far as I can tell). I think I either a) have the wrong bounds, or b) have missed a clue to make this problem easier.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Changing the order of integration would help a lot. Try integrating dy last instead of dx. Order of integration can make a BIG difference.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    So let's see if I can do this:

[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} \int_{-x} ^x 1 dzdxdy [/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} 2x dxdy[/tex]This gives an integrand of zero for the last integral. Hmm, did I use incorrect bounds?

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Umm, yes, you used the wrong bounds. Shouldn't the z bounds be determined by y^2+z^2<=1?? Why would you think they should be -x to x?

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5
    I have two possible problems with those bounds: first, and without doing any actual calculations, those bounds don't make the integral look very much nicer than what I had in #1; second, I would be concerned that we "lose" information about x by not including it somewhere in the bounds (that is, I see we have z's relationship to y and x's relationship to y, but not x's relationship to z). I used -x≤z≤x because that's what I got by setting,

x^2 +y^2 = y^2 + z^2, which suggests,

z = +/- x.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have some problems with that. How does x^2+y^2<=1 and y^2+z^2<=1 imply that x^2+y^2=y^2+z^2?? I suggested integrating dy last exactly because then the x bounds depend only on y and the z bounds depend only on y. Why do think there is some other dependency?

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7
    Okay. I think I understand this now. I did the calculation out and got 16/3, which I have marked as the right answer. I guess doing the integration in that order was easier.

9. Dec 1, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A LOT easier. And yes, it is 16/3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook