1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the weight, work, and normal force of a block

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    4 questions:
    1. A block of mass M=2.6 kg is dragged over a horizontal surface by a force F=22.0 N. The block is displaced a distance d=10.0 m, the friction force Ff is 3.1 N. What is the weight of the block in Newtons? Use 10 m/s2 for g.

2. A block of mass M=1.0 kg is dragged over a horizontal surface by a force F=20.0N. The block is displaced a distance d=10.0 m, the friction force Ff is 5.0 N. What is the work done by the weight Fg?

3. A block of mass M=2.6 kg is dragged over a horizontal surface by a force F=22.0 N. The block is displaced a distance d=10.0 m, the friction force Ff is 3.1 N. What is the normal force acting on the block?

4. A block of mass M=3.3 kg is dragged over a horizontal surface by a force F=29.0 N. The block is displaced a distance d=17.0 m, the friction force Ff is 4.8 N. What is the work done by the normal force FN?

2. Relevant equations

W=fxd

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to watch my instructors videos and none of this section makes any sense to me! I am in need of someone to explain how to figure all of these out please !
    Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    Hi,
    The fundamental thing to remember here, is Newton's second law, or F=ma(mass times acceleration).
    Weight is a special case of a force, where the acceleration is a constant g, and it is always downward, depending on your choice of axes.
    You wrote down correctly, that [itex] \large W = Fd [/itex], but remember that it's a vector product, a dot product, and preferably an integral, [itex] W = \displaystyle \int \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} [/itex].
    Does this make things clearer?
    Daniel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook