1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the work function using stop potential

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    Apologies, but I have another photoelectron question. In this one I get a result that seems reasonable, however it does not show up on my list of work functions that I have available to choose from. The problem is:

A photoelectric-effect experiment finds a stopping potential of 1.93V when light of 200nm is used to illuminate the cathode. What is the cathode made of?

I initially thought this would be an easy problem as Vstop = (hf - Eo) / e

I have all the values except Eo which is what I am trying to solve for.

Vstop = 1.93 V
    h = 4.14x10^-15 eV
    f = 3x10^8/200x10^-9 = 1.5x10^15
    e = 1.6x10^-19

So, I plug all of the values into the equation and solve for Eo

1.93 = ((4.14x10^-15)(1.5x10^15)-Eo)/1.6x10^-19

The resulting value of Eo was 6.21
    This seems valid, except the list I have to choose from is:

Potassium: 2.3
    Sodium: 2.75
    Aluminum: 4.28
    Tungsten: 4.55
    Copper: 4.65
    Iron: 4.7
    Gold: 5.1

Likely I am having the same problem as my previous question and not seeing a simple unit difference. Anyhow, I do appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not Planck's constant in SI units. In fact h is not expressed in eV in any system of units.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    Tom is right and wrong. The problem IS units, but the Planck's constant being used by Calmeir is in eV-s, which is correct. The problem is that he is already working in eV, and so needs to drop the "1.6x10^-19" at the end of his equation.

I reworked it and got e=4.28 eV.

-Dan

5. Feb 21, 2006 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, Tom is right and right! :biggrin:

While the numerical value of h that he used corresponds to h in eV-s, he did report the units in eV, which is wrong.

That's one fix, but I was hinting at a different one. Since he put all of his other quantities in SI units I was trying to get him to put h in SI units as well. He would have obtained E0 in Joules and then convert to eV. Changing h to eV-s and leaving the electron charge as e is certainly more direct though...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?