Calculating Work Function from Retarding Potential of 2.92V for 250nm Radiation

In summary, the work function of the photoemitter can be calculated using the equation PHI=hc/lambda-Ve, where V is the stopping voltage, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, e is the elementary charge, and lambda is the wavelength of the radiation. When using eV as the unit for energy, Ve should be used in the equation instead of V. The answer for the work function will be the same regardless of which unit is used, as long as the correct values are used for the constants.
jaidon
The photocurrent of a photocell is cut off by a retarding potential of 2.92V for radiation of wavelength 250nm. What is the work function of the photoemitter?

I want to use the equation: PHI=hc/lambda-Ve, where V is the stopping voltage (sorrry I don't know how to do the Greek letters for PHI and lambda).

My question: is Ve just 2.92 or is V 2.92 and e 1.602*10^-19? I have tried both ways, adjusting h as required, and I get two different answers. Using Ve=2.92 gives a answer that makes more sense, but I don't quite understand why V=2.92 is not just V. Any advice? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want retarding potential

[tex] V = \frac{h}{e} \nu - \frac{\Phi}{e} [/tex]
and nu = c / lambda, soo

[tex] V = \frac{h}{e} \frac{c}{\lambda} - \frac{\Phi}{e} [/tex]

rearrange to give

[tex] \Phi = \frac{hc}{\lambda} - eV [/tex]

blind substitution hereafter

jaidon said:
The photocurrent of a photocell is cut off by a retarding potential of 2.92V for radiation of wavelength 250nm. What is the work function of the photoemitter?

I want to use the equation: PHI=hc/lambda-Ve, where V is the stopping voltage (sorrry I don't know how to do the Greek letters for PHI and lambda).

My question: is Ve just 2.92 or is V 2.92 and e 1.602*10^-19? I have tried both ways, adjusting h as required, and I get two different answers. Using Ve=2.92 gives a answer that makes more sense, but I don't quite understand why V=2.92 is not just V. Any advice? Thanks

The answer is the same both ways. If you decide to use eV for energy instead of joules, you'll get phi in eV.

1 eV = (1.6*10^-19C)(1V)= 1.6*10^-19 J

e=1.6*10^-19C

so (2.92V)(e)=2.92 eV=2.92*1.6*19^-19 J

Whenever you see some voltage times e, it is easier to use electron-volts, as the energy is just the same number as the voltage.

Try getting the answer for the work function in joules and also eV (be sure to use the right number for h each time). Then convert from one to the other. They should be the same.

Related to Calculating Work Function from Retarding Potential of 2.92V for 250nm Radiation

1. How do you calculate the work function using retarding potential and radiation wavelength?

The work function can be calculated using the equation: W = eV0 - hc/λ, where:W = work functione = elementary chargeV0 = retarding potentialh = Planck's constantc = speed of lightλ = radiation wavelength

2. What is the significance of the retarding potential in calculating work function?

The retarding potential is the minimum potential needed to prevent electrons from reaching the collector plate. It is used in the work function calculation because it represents the energy required to overcome the work function and release electrons from the material's surface.

3. Can the work function be calculated for any radiation wavelength?

Yes, the work function can be calculated for any radiation wavelength as long as the retarding potential is known. The equation takes into account the specific wavelength of radiation in order to accurately calculate the work function.

4. How does the work function affect the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to release an electron from the surface of a material. In the photoelectric effect, this energy is supplied by incoming photons of radiation. If the energy of the photons is greater than the work function, electrons will be emitted from the material. If the energy is less than the work function, no electrons will be emitted.

5. What are the units of the work function?

The work function is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J). These units represent the amount of energy needed to release one electron from the material's surface.