Finding time given constant acceleration, initial velocity, & distance

In summary: The 6% of c was for a different scenario, one where the ship would be going at that velocity at the destination. Here the deceleration is as you arrive.I think I should be set. ... well, you now have the time to destination, so yes - you should be all set. Good luck with your project!In summary, the conversation involved a question about calculating the time it would take to cover a distance of 8 quadrillion meters with an initial velocity of 176400 m/sec and an acceleration of 19.6 m/sec2. The equation used was quadratic in nature and the standard form was determined to be 9.8t2 + 176400t - 800000000
Brent. T

Homework Statement

I want to cover a distance of 8,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo m and I want to know the time it will take if I have an initial velocity of 176400 m/ sec with an acceleration of 19.6 m/sec2. I think I have the right equation here I'm just not sure how to solve for t. Could someone walk me through the steps? Cheers.

Homework Equations

D = 0.5* a * t2 + V0 * t

The Attempt at a Solution

8000000000000 m = 0.5* 19.6 m/sec2 * t2 + V0 * t

8000000000000 m = 9.8 m/sec2 * t2 + 176400 m/ sec * t

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct - the equation is quadratic in t ... so, put it in standard form and use the quadratic equation:
$$ax^2+bx+c=0 \implies x\in \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$$

Would the standard form be: 9.8t2 + 176400t + 8000000000000

Last edited:
Brent. T said:
Would the standard form be: 9.8t2 + 176400t + 8000000000000
Not quite. Watch the signs.
Also, sounds like this could get relativistic. Are you supposed to consider that?

9.8t2 + 176400t - 8000000000000 (?)

If it gets relativistic then I guess I have to consider it. This isn't for homework or anything like that. This is just for something I'm writing. I just wanted a quick solution to what I thought was a simple problem but I can see that it's escalating into a big problem. Even this quadratic stuff is over my head to be honest.

##(9.8)t^2 + (176400)t - (8000000000000)=0## .. these numbers look familiar.
Anyway: You posted this in the homework section - which produces a particular kind of response.

What education level are you at?

Sorry. The general section said that any homework/ course type questions should be posted here. Mine seemed to fit into that category.

I finished high school a few years ago now but since I've never had reason to use anything above basic math I've forgotten most of what I learned regarding algebra.

I was really just looking for a way to calculate velocities. I did find a website to help me solve quadratic equations which, after putting in the variables from the standard form equation, has given me 894552.7270791921 and -912552.7270791921. I'm supposed to use the positive answer aren't I? So t = 894552 seconds. That sounds about right to me.

Brent. T said:
So t = 894552 seconds.
At which point the velocity will be about 6% the speed of light, right? So maybe no need to bother Herr Prof Einstein.

Thanks for your help guys. Now that I know what to do with those velocity equations I think I should be set.

Cheers.

I'm supposed to use the positive answer aren't I? So t = 894552 seconds.
... indeed. The two answers are because there are two times the ship could pass through the destination position, at a constant acceleration, given it's present position. One of those times is in the past (the negative number) but you want the one in the future since you need to know how long to get there rather than how long since the ship was last there.

894552s is about 10days 8.5hours - well done.

1. What is the formula for finding time given constant acceleration, initial velocity, and distance?

The formula for finding time is: time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration. You can also use the formula time = square root(2 x distance / acceleration) if you know the initial and final velocity.

2. How do I find the initial velocity given constant acceleration, final velocity, and distance?

The formula for finding initial velocity is: initial velocity = (final velocity)^2 - 2 x acceleration x distance. You can also use the formula initial velocity = square root(final velocity^2 - 2 x acceleration x distance) if you know the final velocity and distance.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically for finding time, initial velocity, and final velocity when the acceleration is constant. For other types of motion, such as non-constant acceleration or changing direction, different formulas are used.

4. What units should I use for acceleration, initial velocity, final velocity, and distance?

The units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). The units for initial and final velocity are usually meters per second (m/s). Distance is usually measured in meters (m).

5. Can I use this formula in reverse to find the acceleration?

Yes, you can rearrange the formula to find acceleration by multiplying both sides by the time and then dividing by the final velocity. The formula would be: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.