1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time using a given torque, etc.

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Flywheels are large, massive wheels used to store energy. They can be spun up slowly, then the wheel's energy can be released quickly to accomplish a task that demands high power. An industrial flywheel has a 1.2m diameter and a mass of 250kg. A motor spins up the flywheel with a constant torque of 40Nm. How long does it take the flywheel to reach top angular speed of 1250rpm?

2. Relevant equations

Wf = Wi + alpha(delta t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the above equation except I substituted delta W/delta t for alpha. I got 2815.315s, but that seems awfully high, and it wasn't right.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

I don't see how you would have got that to work. Did you use the information about torque? Do you know how to find the moment of inertia of a disk? You can find the angular acceleration using those two quantities. Once you've done that, use the equation under "relevant equations" to find the time.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    I = m(r^2) = 250(.6^2) = 90. I did that and I got the exact same answer.

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4
    I'm still unsure about this problem.

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5

hage567

Homework Helper

Remember that torque = I * alpha. You found I, you were given the torque in the question. So you can get alpha.

Also, a flywheel is shaped like a disk, so for I you should use 0.5*M*R^2, not just M*R^2.

7. Oct 15, 2007 #6
    Ok, using the new I = 45, alpha = .889. So then substituting into Wf = Wi + alpha (delta time), delta time = 1406.074. Does that sound right?

8. Oct 15, 2007 #7

hage567

Homework Helper

Your angular velocity was expressed as 1250 rpm, (revolutions per minute). You need to change that to radians/second, so you units are consistent and correct. Do you know how to do that?

9. Oct 15, 2007 #8
    Why no I do not....I know how to change it to revolutions/second, but not radians/second

10. Oct 15, 2007 #9

hage567

Homework Helper

There are 2*pi radians per revolution.

11. Oct 15, 2007 #10
    Do I change revolutions/minute to revolutions/second then then do the 2pi radians?

12. Oct 15, 2007 #11

hage567

Homework Helper

Yes, you must do both.

13. Oct 15, 2007 #12
    Got it. Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?