Torque and Initial Angular Velocity effect on time

In summary, the equations show that more torque induces more acceleration, and that the time to stop is longest for a object with a greater angular velocity.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-3_21-59-45.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
T = inertia * alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how the torque or angular velocity initially affects the time to speed, but it seems like the more angular velocity , then the quicker the engine would stop. I do know that more torque induces more acceleration.

Am i suppose to use one of the kinematic equations? Can someone hint me to this question? :O[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-3_21-59-45.png
    upload_2018-2-3_21-59-45.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,088
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
seems like the more angular velocity , then the quicker the engine would stop
Why?

haruspex said:
Why?
Oops, i meant to say longer to stop. If the angular velocity is greater, it would take more time to stop it since it builds a higher momentum.

lc99 said:
Oops, i meant to say longer to stop. If the angular velocity is greater, it would take more time to stop it since it builds a higher momentum.
Right, so which answer are you thinking?

haruspex said:
Right, so which answer are you thinking?
I think the answer is B, but I am not sure if my logic is right.

Since B has a greater angular velocity, its time to stop is longest out of the three. Also, A is greater than C because the torque is higher in C which means that the torque is better at slowing down the engine.

Is there some kind of equation that illustrates this?

lc99 said:
I think the answer is B, but I am not sure if my logic is right.

Since B has a greater angular velocity, its time to stop is longest out of the three. Also, A is greater than C because the torque is higher in C which means that the torque is better at slowing down the engine.

Is there some kind of equation that illustrates this?
All good.

... missed your edit.

Angular motion is strongly analogous to linear motion. Substitute force for torque, linear velocity for angular velocity and linear acceleration for angular acceleration. Are the equations obvious now?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is often represented as the product of a force applied perpendicular to the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of the force.

2. How does torque affect an object's rotation?

Torque causes an object to rotate around an axis, leading to changes in its angular velocity, or how fast it is rotating. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate, and the smaller the torque, the slower the rotation will be.

3. How does initial angular velocity affect an object's rotation?

Initial angular velocity is the speed at which an object is rotating when it is first set in motion. This initial speed will impact the object's overall rotation, with higher initial angular velocities leading to faster rotations and lower initial angular velocities resulting in slower rotations.

4. How does torque and initial angular velocity affect the time it takes for an object to rotate?

The relationship between torque, initial angular velocity, and time is complex and depends on various factors such as the object's mass and shape. In general, a higher torque and initial angular velocity will result in a shorter rotation time, while lower torque and initial angular velocities will lead to longer rotation times.

5. Can torque and initial angular velocity be used to control an object's rotation time?

Yes, torque and initial angular velocity can be manipulated to control an object's rotation time. By adjusting these variables, scientists and engineers can design systems that rotate at desired speeds and for specific periods of time, making them useful in various applications such as motors, engines, and turbines.