A problem with finding torque and power associated with two flywheels

In summary, torque is the rotational force applied to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In relation to flywheels, torque is the force that causes them to rotate, while power is the energy produced by their rotation. It is important to find torque and power associated with two flywheels in order to understand system performance and determine the necessary size and materials for the flywheels. The factors that affect torque and power include size, weight, speed, and friction within the system, as well as external factors such as temperature and humidity. Torque and power can be calculated by considering the force applied, distance from the center of rotation, and angular velocity. Challenges in finding torque and power associated with two fly
TeaCup

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a motor is connected to the flywheel of a pump by a drive belt (see image attached). The first Flywheel has a radius R1, and the second a radius R2. While the motor wheel is rotating at a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]1, the tensions in the upper and the lower portion of the drive belt are T and T', respectively. Assume that the drive belt is massless.
a) What is the angular velocity of the pump wheel?
b) What is the torque of the drive belt on each wheel?
c) By taking the product of torque and angular velocity, calculate the power delivered by the motor to the drive belt, and the power removed by the pump from the drive belt. Are these powers equal?

Given:
T, T', R1, R2, [tex]\omega[/tex]1, R1>R2

Find:
[tex]\omega[/tex]2, [tex]\tau[/tex]1, [tex]\tau[/tex]2, Pin, Pout,

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = F[tex]\times[/tex]R
v = [tex]\omega[/tex]R
P = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]
W = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to part a, since the tangential velocity for both flywheels must be the same. But from the problem itself, it seems that T and T' are forces with different values. I don't really understand if they are different, how can the flywheels not have angular accelerations since the problem states that the flywheels each has its own constant angular velocities. Another thought was that the torque generated by the difference between tension forces from one flywheel is offset by that of the other flywheel. But that didn't exactly work out because I ended up with R1 = -R2. I finally thought maybe it's a trick question that T actually is equal to T' but then part c seems to suggest that a torque has to exist for each flywheel because otherwise, no power can be delivered for removed.

So here's my problem:confused:, can anyone please help me solve this? Thanks!:shy:

Attachments

• Pages from IMG_0001.jpg
    Pages from IMG_0001.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If ω is constant then dω/dt = 0.

The velocity of the belt is the same. v=rω, so you can get ω of the other flywheel.

rock.freak667 said:
If ω is constant then dω/dt = 0.

The velocity of the belt is the same. v=rω, so you can get ω of the other flywheel.

Thanks, I forgot to say, part a is the only part I found the answer since the tangential velocity must be the same. But do you know how to find the answers for part b and c?

For part b

TeaCup said:
Another thought was that the torque generated by the difference between tension forces

You already knew what to do :wink:

For part c, they told you that P=Tω, you just have two Ts, so it would be the difference between them.

What is torque and power in relation to flywheels?

Torque is the measure of rotational force applied to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In the case of flywheels, torque is the force that causes the flywheels to rotate, while power is the energy or work produced by the rotation of the flywheels.

Why is it important to find torque and power associated with two flywheels?

Knowing the torque and power associated with two flywheels is important in understanding the performance and efficiency of a system that utilizes flywheels. It can also help in determining the required size and materials for the flywheels to achieve a desired level of power and torque.

What are the factors that affect the torque and power of two flywheels?

The torque and power of two flywheels are affected by several factors including the size and weight of the flywheels, the speed at which they rotate, and the friction and resistance within the system. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the torque and power.

How can torque and power associated with two flywheels be calculated?

To calculate the torque, you need to know the force applied to the flywheels and the distance from the center of rotation. Power can be calculated by multiplying the torque with the angular velocity (speed of rotation) of the flywheels. There are also specific equations and formulas that can be used for more complex systems.

What are the common challenges in finding torque and power associated with two flywheels?

One of the common challenges is accurately measuring the force applied to the flywheels and the speed of rotation. Friction and resistance within the system can also affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, the complexity of the system and varying external factors can make it difficult to obtain precise values for torque and power.