Finding two objects velocity after an elastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a head-on collision between a 4-kg block moving at 7m/s and a stationary 3kg block. The goal is to find the velocities of the two blocks after the collision using the conservation of momentum formula. After plugging in the numbers, the equation 28 = 4(vf1)+3(vf2) is obtained, but it is unclear how to find the final velocities. The concept of conservation of energy is also brought up, but it is not clear whether the collision is elastic or inelastic. Eventually, it is determined that the collision is elastic and the final velocities are solved to be 8m/s and 1m/s for the 4-
DeltaForce

Homework Statement

A 4-kg block moving at 7m/s makes a head-on collision with a stationary block of mass 3kg. Find the velocities of the two blocks after the collision.
m1=4kg, vi1=7m/s
m2=3kg, vi2 = 0m/s
Trying to find vf1 and vf2

2. Homework Equations

Using the conservation of momentum formula.
m1(vi1)+m2(vi2) = m1(vf1)+m2(vf2)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in the numbers I get: 4(7)+3(0) = 4(vf1)+3(vf2)
28 = 4(vf1)+3(vf2)
It is at this point where I'm stuck. How do I find vf1 and vf2? I feel like I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeltaForce said:

Homework Statement

A 4-kg block moving at 7m/s makes a head-on collision with a stationary block of mass 3kg. Find the velocities of the two blocks after the collision.
m1=4kg, vi1=7m/s
m2=3kg, vi2 = 0m/s
Trying to find vf1 and vf2

2. Homework Equations

Using the conservation of momentum formula.
m1(vi1)+m2(vi2) = m1(vf1)+m2(vf2)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in the numbers I get: 4(7)+3(0) = 4(vf1)+3(vf2)
28 = 4(vf1)+3(vf2)
It is at this point where I'm stuck. How do I find vf1 and vf2? I feel like I'm missing something.
What about energy in case of elastic collision?

ehild said:
What about energy in case of elastic collision?

Kinetic energy is conserved?
Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Could you elaborate a bit more? Thanks

DeltaForce said:
Yes.

DeltaForce said:
Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Could you elaborate a bit more? Thanks
Just an example:
When a body moving with a uniform velocity v collides with another body at rest, the second body after collision moves with the same velocity as the first one.
This is not possible under normal circumstance as some amount of energy is lost during collision in the form of heat or sound.

Pallavi said:
When a body moving with a uniform velocity v collides with another body at rest, the second body after collision moves with the same velocity as the first one.
Only if they have the same mass.
But more generally, if KE is conserved in a straight line collision then v2f-v1f=v1i-v2i, regardless of the masses.

On the face of it the information given is insufficient - we don't know whether this is an elastic collision, completely inelastic or somewhere in between ? I would guess elastic as assumed by others above but the OP is correct saying he/she feels there is something missing!

neilparker62 said:
we don't know whether this is an elastic collision
The thread title says it is.

Likes neilparker62
haruspex said:
Only if they have the same mass.
But more generally, if KE is conserved in a straight line collision then v2f-v1f=v1i-v2i, regardless of the masses.

Oh ok, I see now. I need to substitute that that equation into the first one.
So 7 = v2f - v1f
v1f = v2f-7
28 = 3(v2f) + 4(v2f-7)
v2f = 8m/s
Thus v1f = 1 m/s
Thank you!

Pallavi said:
Just an example:
This is not possible under normal circumstance as some amount of energy is lost during collision in the form of heat or sound.

Thanks for responding!

DeltaForce said:
Thanks for responding!
Your're most welcome :smile:

1. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

In order to calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. First, find the total initial momentum of the two objects, then use this value to find the total final momentum. Next, calculate the total initial kinetic energy and use this value to find the total final kinetic energy. Finally, use these values to find the final velocities of the two objects.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved have the same total kinetic energy as they did before the collision. In an ideal elastic collision, there is no loss of energy due to deformation or heat.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat. This means that in an inelastic collision, the final velocities of the objects will be different from their initial velocities, while in an elastic collision, the final velocities will be the same as the initial velocities.

4. Can the final velocities of the objects be calculated if the masses and initial velocities are known?

Yes, the final velocities of the objects can be calculated if the masses and initial velocities are known. As mentioned before, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations to solve for the final velocities.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the final velocities of the objects?

The angle of collision can affect the final velocities of the objects in an elastic collision. If the objects collide head-on, the final velocities will be the same as the initial velocities. However, if the objects collide at an angle, the final velocities will be different from the initial velocities and will depend on the angle and the masses of the objects.