1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding upper and lower limits of a graph

1. May 13, 2008 #1

Aki

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not really a homework problem, but it looks like a rather easy problem that I can't quite figure out.

So I have a graph like shown in the attachment: a quantity vs time graph with some data points. I had no problem finding the average, but now I want to find both an upper and lower limits that would enclose 80% of the data points (so like what I have drawn in the graph). My question is: how can I do that using a simple program like Excel?

2. Relevant equations
    I tried applying Chebycheff's Inequality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

For 80% of the data points, I found the number of standard deviations from the average would be SquareRoot 5. So (SquareRoot 5 * Standard Deviation)/2 , and then add and subtract that from the average to find the limits.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Chebycheff's Inequality worked for most graphs. However, for some graphs, I would get a negative value for the lower limit and that's not what I want to see.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Chebycheff's Inequality will give difference from the mean. Since here the mean is 80 I don't think you are in any danger of getting a negative lower limit!

4. May 13, 2008 #3

Aki

well I just made up that graph. I can't show the data that I'm working with because it's confidential. Anyhow, there are graphs where if I apply the Chebycheff's Inequality, I get a negative value for the lower limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?