Finding v of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular region in the xy plane with a magnetic field of 0.06T pointing in the -z direction. A proton enters the region with an initial velocity of vx = v*cos(24) and vy = v*sin(24). It exits the region at a point 0.4m above its entry point with the same vy and opposite vx. The goal is to find the initial velocity, v. The original approach attempted to use F = qv x B to find the force in the y direction and integrate twice to solve for v, but this approach did not work due to the force acting in both the x and y directions. The simpler and more elegant approach is to determine the radius
ThereIam

Homework Statement

So there's a rectangular region in the xy plane subjected to a magnetic field B with strength 0.06T pointing in the -z. A proton moving in the xy plane enters the region with velocity v such that the velocity components are initially vx = v*cos(24), vy = v*sin(24). It leaves the rectangular region at a point 0.4m above (as in yf = yi + 0.4m, xf = xi) its entry with the same vy and opposite vx. What is v?

Homework Equations

F = qv x B, qvB = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I could just use F = qb x B to find the force in the y direction and then divided by the mass and integrated twice and set it equal to 0.4m, then solve for v, like

F/m = a = qvBcos(∅)/m
so=
x = 0.4 = ∫∫vqBcos(∅)/m d∅^2 + ∫vsin(θ)d∅ for ∅ = 24 to 154
then solve for v. The first integration is due to the B field and the second is just integrating the initial vy.

But I'm off by more than a couple orders of magnitude...

Any help would be appreciated! I suspect that my way isn't the easiest way, but if anyone could explain the flaw in my approach anyway that would be awesome.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can put away the heavy machinery if you draw the trajectory of the proton through the region and see if you can't locate the center of curvature (i.e., find the radius of curvature).

ThereIam said:

Homework Equations

F = qv x B, qvB = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I could just use F = qb x B to find the force in the y direction and then divided by the mass and integrated twice and set it equal to 0.4m, then solve for v, like

F/m = a = qvBcos(∅)/m
so=
x = 0.4 = ∫∫vqBcos(∅)/m d∅^2 + ∫vsin(θ)d∅ for ∅ = 24 to 154
then solve for v. The first integration is due to the B field and the second is just integrating the initial vy.

What is the direction of the force wit respect to the velocity of the proton? Does not it influence the x component of velocity ?

If you want to get the change of position by integrating acceleration, and then the velocity, you have to integrate with respect to what?

ehild

Just one more hint: In this case it helps to write out the equations of motion for [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] explicitly in components and then decouple them, leading to a 2nd order ODE for one component.

vanhees71, that's what I thought I had done in my attempt above. It should say "y = 0.4" But anyway vcos(∅) = vy. F in the y direction I thought equals vqBcos(∅)*m. I thought by breaking them into those components I had decoupled them. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

Last edited:
Once again I offer the suggestion that if you can determine the radius of curvature of the proton's trajectory while it is within the region of the magnetic field then you can determine the velocity of the proton without a lot of mathematical strife.

You are essentially told that the entry angle and exit angle are mirrored; on exit the horizontal velocity is the negative of that on entry, and the vertical velocity is the same as on entry. Further, you are given the separation of the entry and exit. You also know (or should know!) that the trajectory of a charged particle while in a magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the motion must be circular in nature. Determining the radius of that circle is equivalent to determining the velocity (see the OP's Relevant Equations).

So I offer up the following diagram for consideration:

attachment.php?attachmentid=61652&stc=1&d=1378770795.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 593
Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for your responses gneill. I really do appreciate them, and I can see that they present a simpler approach to a solution.

I am still frustrated by my lack of understanding as to why my original approach didn't work. Something I'm trying to work on is my calculus skills (a great and unfortunate weakness of mine is in setting up problems appropriately using calculus) so even though your solution is both simpler and more elegant, I remain extremely curious where the problem in my original approach lay. Sorry that I did not express my gratitude for your thoughtful responses earlier.

ThereIam said:
I am still frustrated by my lack of understanding as to why my original approach didn't work. Something I'm trying to work on is my calculus skills (a great and unfortunate weakness of mine is in setting up problems appropriately using calculus) so even though your solution is both simpler and more elegant, I remain extremely curious where the problem in my original approach lay. Sorry that I did not express my gratitude for your thoughtful responses earlier.

You assumed that force acts only in the y direction. It is not true. The force is F=q[VxB], cross product of vectors V and B, and is perpendicular both to V and B. At the first instant, the force acts really in the y direction, and the particle accelerates and gains velocity in that direction. In the next instant, the direction of the velocity has both x and y component, and so is the acceleration. ax=(q/m)VyBz, and ay=-(q/m)VxBz.
You have to integrate the acceleration with respect time to get the velocity, and have to integrate velocity with respect time, to get displacement. You tried to integrate with respect theta. That was wrong.

ehild

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding v of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field

1. What is the formula for finding the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?

The formula for finding the velocity (v) of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field is v = (q/m)B, where q is the charge of the particle, m is its mass, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How do I determine the direction of the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?

The direction of the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field, your index finger in the direction of the particle's velocity, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the force acting on the particle.

3. Can the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field change?

Yes, the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field can change if the strength or direction of the magnetic field changes, or if the particle's charge or mass changes.

4. How does the velocity of a charged particle affect its trajectory in a uniform magnetic field?

The velocity of a charged particle determines the radius of its circular motion in a uniform magnetic field. A higher velocity will result in a larger radius, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller radius.

5. What happens to the velocity of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field if there are other forces acting on it?

If there are other forces acting on the charged particle, such as an electric field, then the velocity will be affected by both the magnetic and electric forces. The resulting motion will be a combination of both forces, and the trajectory of the particle will be more complex than a simple circular motion.