Finding velocity/distance from acceleration

In summary: For the first question you would multiply the acceleration by the time.For the second question you would get the velocity and multiply that by the time.
Tankertert

Homework Statement

Hi guys. New here.

Im doing some last minute revision and i have a question I am stuck on.

an objects acceleration a in ms^-1 at time t seconds is shown by

a(t) = 6t + ∏cos(2∏ t), where t ≥ 0

if objects initial velocity is 3ms^-1, find:

a) objects velocity after 2 seconds

b) distance object travels in first 5 seconds.

If you can show me your answers and how you solved the question so i can see how you did it, that would be amazing. thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i firstly tried substituting the time into solve, but that only gives me the acceleration and i need the velocity. and i have no idea on how to try and even get the second one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tankertert said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys. New here.

Im doing some last minute revision and i have a question I am stuck on.

Hi Tankertert, welcome to PF! :smile:

If you can show me your answers and how you solved the question so i can see how you did it, that would be amazing. thank you!
It would be better if you show us what you did, and we try guiding you to the answer. :biggrin:
Read : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

i firstly tried substituting the time into solve, but that only gives me the acceleration and i need the velocity. and i have no idea on how to try and even get the second one.

Do you know basic calculus? If yes, what is the definition of instantaneous acceleration? and instantaneous velocity?

All i have done was sub 2 into a(t) = 6t + ∏cos(2∏ t) but i don't know how that would help me.

acceleration is velocity over time yes?
and velocity is distance over time?

For the first question you would multiply the acceleration by the time.

For the second question you would get the velocity and multiply that by the time.

Also acceleration is ms^-2 not -1. I'm sure that was just a typo but I'm just making sure.

For the second question you would get the velocity and multiply that by the time.

Also acceleration is ms^-2 not -1. I'm sure that was just a typo but I'm just making sure.

Tankertert said:
All i have done was sub 2 into a(t) = 6t + ∏cos(2∏ t) but i don't know how that would help me.

acceleration is velocity over time yes?
and velocity is distance over time?

Although true, those are a bit vague definitions. Can you express the same mathematically, for instantaneous velocity/accelerations?

Matt4936 said:

This would work if the acceleration was constant, which it isn't...

That means that you would have to integrate the acceleration function to get the velocity function and then substitute time in?

Matt4936 said:
That means that you would have to integrate the acceleration function to get the velocity function and then substitute time in?

There we go! :rolleyes:

1. How do I find the velocity from acceleration?

To find the velocity from acceleration, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Can I find the distance from acceleration?

Yes, you can find the distance from acceleration by using the formula d = ut + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In other words, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, while acceleration measures how quickly the velocity is changing.

4. How do I convert acceleration from m/s^2 to km/h^2?

To convert from m/s^2 to km/h^2, you can use the conversion 1 m/s^2 = 3.6 km/h^2. So, if you have an acceleration of 10 m/s^2, it would be equivalent to 36 km/h^2.

5. Can I calculate acceleration if I know the velocity and distance?

No, acceleration cannot be calculated if you only know the velocity and distance. You also need to know the time in order to calculate acceleration using the formula a = (v-u)/t, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time.