Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity from change in potential

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    I seem to be drawing a blank here (even though i have done these types of problems before).
    Just need some help with remembering how to find the velocity of (an electron) when giving the change in potential.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think in terms of conservation of energy.

How much does the kinetic energy of the electron change by when it moves through the given voltage? You should be able to find the new velocity if you find the new kinetic energy.
  4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    oh nice thank you. yea i have that an electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 400 V. so the KE at the start is 0 and initial PE is 400, so i ended up setting 400 = KE and solved.
  5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem. :smile:

Remember that potential is potential energy per unit charge. i.e.:

[tex]\Delta U=q\Delta V[/tex]

where delta V is the potential difference and delta U is the difference in potential energy.

If you set the potential energy = 400, your units are in eV not J. Multiply the potential difference by the charge of the electron to get the energy in Joules if needed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?