Finding velocity given change in potential

In summary, to find the velocity of an electron accelerated from rest by a potential difference of 422 V, you can use the equation KE = .5mv^2 and set up a conservation of energy equation. However, you must be careful with units and consider the charge of the electron, as the potential difference is in eV but KE is in joules. Alternatively, you can use the equation deltaU = q * deltaV, where U is the change in potential energy, V is the potential difference, and q is the charge.
Xender

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated from rest by a potential difference of 422 V. What is its velocity?

Homework Equations

KE = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the electron started from rest, there is no KE at the start, just potential. After it is accelerated I assumed that there was not potential and that the electron only had potential energy.
Doing this, i was able to set up a conservation of energy equation where:
422 = .5mv^2

is this the correct way of going about solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct, but you should watch the units carefully. More to the point, what are the energy units that go with 422?

eV goes with 422, but KE would be in joules... uh oh! i did some digging and ended up finding that getting the deltaU = q * deltaV (U is change in potential energy, V is change in the potential, q is charge). i multiplied my potential by the charge and then set up the new equation: 6.752E-17 = .5mv^2 and got the right answer. Thanks mate.

1. What is the formula for finding velocity given change in potential?

The formula for finding velocity given change in potential is v = √(2ΔPE/m), where v is the velocity, ΔPE is the change in potential energy, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How do I calculate change in potential energy?

Change in potential energy can be calculated by subtracting the final potential energy from the initial potential energy. The formula is ΔPE = PEfinal - PEinitial.

3. Can I use this formula for any object?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object as long as its mass and change in potential energy are known.

4. Is finding velocity given change in potential the same as finding speed?

No, finding velocity given change in potential takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while finding speed does not. Velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

5. What units are used for velocity and change in potential energy in this formula?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) and the units for change in potential energy are joules (J). However, the units used may vary depending on the units used for mass and potential energy in the formula.