Electrostatic Potential / Work Question?

In summary, the question asks how close a second electron, initially at 20 m on the x axis and given an initial velocity of 350 m/s towards the origin, will come to the origin when an electron and a proton are held at x = +1.000 m and x = -1.000 m, respectively. Using the equations for potential energy (U = k q1 q2 / r), kinetic energy (KE = .5mv^2), and work (W = q ∫ E dl), it is found that the work needed to bring the electron to the origin is given by qEx, where E is the electric field calculated using E = kq / r. Plugging in the values for q,
lightofthemoon

Homework Statement

An electron and a proton are held on an x axis, with the electron at x = + 1.000 m and the proton at x = - 1.000 m. If a second electron is initially at 20 m on the x axis, and given an initial velocity of 350 m/s towards the origin, it does not reach it. How close to the origin does it come?

Homework Equations

U = k q1 q2 / r
W = q ∫ E dl
E = F / q
KE = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not quite sure how to approach this problem...

Calculate potential energy of the second electron:
U = k q1 q2 / r
U = (k * (1.6 * 10^-19) ^2 / 19) - (k * (1.6 * 10^-19) ^2 / 21)
U = 1.16*10^-30

Calculate initial kinetic energy
KE = .5mv^2
KE = .5 * 9.11 * 10 ^-31 * 350^2
KE = 5.58 * 10^-26

Calculate work needed to be done to bring it to the origin
not very sure about this part
W = q ∫ E dl
since all of this is done on x-axis I think the equation will simplify to W = qEx ?
E = kq / r
E = (9 * 10^9 * 1.6 * 10^-19 / 21) - (9 * 10^9 * 1.6 * 10^-19 / 19)
E = -7.22 * 10 ^-12
W = 2.3* 10^-29

From here I'm not quite sure how to continue...

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the right answer through U / qE = x
Answer was 1.004 m

But can someone explain why I didn't need to use the initial speed of the electron? (Or did I actually need it and just got the right answer by chance?) Thank you

lightofthemoon said:
I got the right answer through U / qE = x
Answer was 1.004 m

But can someone explain why I didn't need to use the initial speed of the electron? (Or did I actually need it and just got the right answer by chance?) Thank you
It is not clear what you did to get the answer. In your original attempt you calculated the initial KE. Did you use that?
Please post all your working.

No, I didn't use the initial KE at all.

Work to bring the particle to the origin = qEx
So I set U=qEx and solved for x (how far it would get to the origin)
x = U / qE
E = kq / r E = (9 * 10^9 * 1.6 * 10^-19 / 21) - (9 * 10^9 * 1.6 * 10^-19 / 19)
E = -7.22 * 10 ^-12
U = k q1 q2 / r
U = (k * (1.6 * 10^-19) ^2 / 19) - (k * (1.6 * 10^-19) ^2 / 21)
U = 1.16*10^-30

1.16*10^-30 / (-1.6 * 10^-19 * -7.22 * 10 ^-12 ) = x
x = 1.004 m

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the amount of energy required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electrostatic field. It is also known as electric potential or voltage.

2. How is electrostatic potential measured?

Electrostatic potential is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. It can also be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge by the amount of charge moved.

3. What is the difference between electrostatic potential and electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential is a measure of the energy required to move a charge, while electrostatic potential energy is the potential energy stored in a system due to the arrangement of charges. In other words, electrostatic potential is the cause while electrostatic potential energy is the effect.

4. How does distance affect electrostatic potential?

The electrostatic potential decreases as the distance between charges increases. This is because the electric field weakens with distance and therefore less energy is required to move a charge between two points.

5. What is the relationship between work and electrostatic potential?

The work done in moving a charge from one point to another is equal to the product of the charge and the change in electrostatic potential. In other words, work is directly proportional to the change in electrostatic potential.