Finding velocity given radius and coefficient of friction

In summary: There is no mention of tangential acceleration and it is presumably negligible in this problem. What you are saying makes sense, but I would still like to know how to do that problem with just the radial acceleration.In summary, the box slips off the edge of the platform when the coefficient of friction between the platform and the box becomes too high.
Mooshk

Homework Statement

A box with mass 2kg is on the edge of a circular platform of radius 6.0m. The coefficient of friction between the platform and the box is 0.3. The platform accelerates. Determine the speed when the box slips off the edge.

Homework Equations

Fs = μsN
F⃗ net=ΣF⃗ =ma⃗
a(t) = d(vt)/dt
a(r) = v^2/r
a = [sqrt (ar^2) + (at^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is non-uniform circular motion.
I don't think that what I'm doing is right.

ΣF(t) = -Ff = m(at)
at = - μs(g)
a(t) = - (0.3)(9.8)
a(t) = -2.94 m/s^2

ΣF(r) = m(ar)
ΣF(r) = (mv^2) / r

ΣF(net) = m * [sqrt (ar^2) + (at^2)]
Ff = m * [sqrt (ar^2) + (at^2)]
μs(g) = [sqrt (μs^2(g^2)) + (m^2*v^4) / r^2]
(μg)^2 = (μs^2(g^2)) + (m^2v^4) / r^2
((μg)^2 - μs^2(g^2)) /r^2 = (m^2*v^4)

So if I solve for v, I would take the fourth root of the left side after bringing m^2 over, and that doesn't seem right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are working too hard. The acceleration is not given, suggesting you ignore F = ma. To my mind, it sounds like the condition for beginning to slip is simply when friction can no longer provide the necessary centripetal force to hold it on:
centripetal force = force of friction
which easily solves for v.

Delphi51 said:
I think you are working too hard. The acceleration is not given, suggesting you ignore F = ma. To my mind, it sounds like the condition for beginning to slip is simply when friction can no longer provide the necessary centripetal force to hold it on:
centripetal force = force of friction
which easily solves for v.
How would that model non-uniform circular motion? Or does that not matter since the friction force is perpendicular?

Strictly speaking, it does not apply to non-uniform circular motion where it could be that high tangential acceleration will cause the thing to slip into kinetic friction mode before centrifugal force overcomes the grip. If you have been doing problems like that in class, then do it with this one, too. Note that you will have to consider the combined radial and tangential forces and calculate when that exceeds the friction force.

But the wording suggests to me that the tangential acceleration is so small it can be ignored and slipping will occur in the radial direction.

I would approach this problem by first drawing a free body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the box. These include the normal force (N), the weight of the box (mg), and the frictional force (Ff). The platform is accelerating, so there is also a net force (Fnet) acting on the box.

Using the equation Ff = μsN, we can calculate the magnitude of the frictional force. In this case, Ff = (0.3)(2kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 5.88N.

Next, we can use the equation Fnet = ma to determine the acceleration of the box. Since the box is slipping off the edge, the net force must be equal to the frictional force, so we have Fnet = Ff = 5.88N. Plugging this into the equation, we get 5.88N = (2kg)a. Solving for a, we get a = 2.94m/s^2.

Now, we can use the equation a = v^2/r to find the speed of the box when it slips off the edge. Rearranging the equation, we get v = √(ar). Plugging in the values for a and r, we get v = √(2.94m/s^2)(6.0m) = 4.28m/s.

Therefore, the speed of the box when it slips off the edge is 4.28m/s. This approach is more direct and uses the appropriate equations for the given problem. It is important to carefully consider the forces and their directions in order to accurately solve the problem.

1. What is the formula for finding velocity given radius and coefficient of friction?

The formula for finding velocity given radius and coefficient of friction is v = √(rgμ), where v is the velocity, r is the radius, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. How do I determine the value of the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments or researching published data for the specific materials in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the frictional force between two surfaces.

3. Can the velocity be negative in this equation?

Yes, the velocity can be negative in this equation if the frictional force and the direction of motion are opposite. This means that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force.

4. What units should be used for radius and coefficient of friction in the formula?

The radius should be in meters (m) and the coefficient of friction is unitless. However, it is important to ensure that the units for mass and acceleration are consistent with the units for radius and coefficient of friction in the equation.

5. How does the value of the coefficient of friction affect the velocity?

The value of the coefficient of friction directly affects the velocity in the sense that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a lower velocity. This is because a higher coefficient of friction indicates a stronger resistance to motion, therefore slowing down the object.