1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity of a vehicle using Doppler Shift for sound

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are standing on the side of the Trans-Canada Highway as the Physicsmobile approaches you. As it approaches, you hear an engine noise of 1100 Hz. After it passes, you hear an engine noise of 950 Hz. How fast was the Physicsmobile travelling?

2. Relevant equations

FMHlj.png
    f2 = apparent frequency
    f1 = actual frequency emitted by source
    v = speed of sound in air
    vs = speed of source

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to re-arrange the formula. If I fill in all variables that I'm given, there are still two left blank (vs and f).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have two unknown values (vs and f1) and two equations - one before and one after it passes you. You can solve this equation system to get vs.

4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    Does this look right?

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 15, 2013 #5
    Your first equation is wrong. The source approaches the observer, so the frequency should increase. To increase the frequency, the denominator in the equation should decrease.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook