Doppler effect and signs of the equation

In summary, In this situation, the frequency of the siren on the police car is 700 hz when the car stands still. The difference in frequency heard by the driver of the scooter between when the two vehicles are approaching each other and when the two vehicles are separating from each other is closest to 700 Hz.
RUphysics3

Homework Statement

A motor scooter moving at 10 m/s approaches and passes a police car moving at 50 m/s in the opposite direction. The frequency of the siren on the police car is 700 hz when the car stands still. the difference in frequency heard by the driver of the scooter between when the two vehicles are approaching each other and when the two vehicles are separating from each other is closest to..

Homework Equations

doppler effect equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must find the frequency at one point and subtract it from the other to find the difference, but in the doppler equation I never know when the velocity of the source/listener must be subtracted/added to the speed of sound

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RUphysics3 said:

Homework Statement

A motor scooter moving at 10 m/s approaches and passes a police car moving at 50 m/s in the opposite direction. The frequency of the siren on the police car is 700 hz when the car stands still. the difference in frequency heard by the driver of the scooter between when the two vehicles are approaching each other and when the two vehicles are separating from each other is closest to..

Homework Equations

Doppler effect equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must find the frequency at one point and subtract it from the other to find the difference, but in the doppler equation I never know when the velocity of the source/listener must be subtracted/added to the speed of light.
I hope you mean "Speed of Sound" not of light.

Likes RUphysics3
SammyS said:
I hope you mean "Speed of Sound" not of light.
i do indeed lol

RUphysics3 said:
I know I must find the frequency at one point and subtract it from the other to find the difference, but in the doppler equation I never know when the velocity of the source/listener must be subtracted/added to the speed of sound
You know that is always a matter of multiplying or dividing by 1+v/c or 1-v/c, where c is the speed of sound and v is one of the other velocities.
You also know that when the source is moving towards the receiver the frequency will increase, so for that case it must be either multiply by 1+v/c or divide by 1-v/c.
A simple thought experiment will tell you which. Suppose the source is moving at the speed of sound. What will happen to the wavefronts? What frequency will that seem like to the receiver when they meet?

1. What is the Doppler effect and how does it work?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is relative motion between the source of a wave and the observer. This results in a perceived change in the frequency of the wave as it reaches the observer. For example, when an ambulance with a siren passes by, the pitch of the siren will appear higher as it approaches and lower as it moves away, even though the actual frequency of the siren remains constant.

2. How is the Doppler effect equation derived?

The Doppler effect equation is derived from the basic principles of wave motion and the relative velocity between the source and observer. It can be derived using the formula: f' = f(v +/- vr)/(v +/- vs), where f is the original frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vr is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and vs is the speed of the source.

3. Can the Doppler effect be observed with all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the effect may be more noticeable with sound waves due to their lower speed compared to light waves.

4. What are the signs of the Doppler effect equation?

The plus and minus signs in the Doppler effect equation indicate the direction of the relative motion between the source and observer. When the relative velocity is towards the observer, the signs should be positive and the perceived frequency will be higher. When the relative velocity is away from the observer, the signs should be negative and the perceived frequency will be lower.

5. How is the Doppler effect used in real life?

The Doppler effect is used in a variety of real-life applications, including radar and sonar technology, medical imaging, and astronomy. It is also used in police speed guns and weather forecasting. In addition, the Doppler effect is used to determine the speed and direction of objects in space, such as stars and galaxies.