1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect and signs of the equation

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A motor scooter moving at 10 m/s approaches and passes a police car moving at 50 m/s in the opposite direction. The frequency of the siren on the police car is 700 hz when the car stands still. the difference in frequency heard by the driver of the scooter between when the two vehicles are approaching each other and when the two vehicles are separating from each other is closest to..

2. Relevant equations
    doppler effect equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I must find the frequency at one point and subtract it from the other to find the difference, but in the doppler equation I never know when the velocity of the source/listener must be subtracted/added to the speed of sound

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you mean "Speed of Sound" not of light.

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3
    i do indeed lol

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know that is always a matter of multiplying or dividing by 1+v/c or 1-v/c, where c is the speed of sound and v is one of the other velocities.
    You also know that when the source is moving towards the receiver the frequency will increase, so for that case it must be either multiply by 1+v/c or divide by 1-v/c.
    A simple thought experiment will tell you which. Suppose the source is moving at the speed of sound. What will happen to the wavefronts? What frequency will that seem like to the receiver when they meet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted