Finding velocity using given angle

In summary, the question asks for the time at which a body, projected at 50m/sec and an angle of 53 degrees with the horizontal, will have a velocity that makes an angle of 33.7 degrees with the horizontal. Using kinematics formulas for the x and y components of motion, the answer is approximately 2 seconds.
dahano

Homework Statement

:
A body is projected with 50m/sec at an angle of 53 degree with the horizontal. After what time velocity makes an angle 33.7 degree with horizontal. (tan 33.7 = 2/3)[/B]

Homework Equations

: Mostly from 2-Dimension and maybe calculus.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: I've first picked up the second part of the question and tried to find out the height at 33.7 degree angle by using h = uSinθt - 1/2gt but in this, I can't decide that what u should I put because 50m/sec is at the ground level. Moreover, I also don't know the time, t. And thus this method can not be used. What could be the other way? Please guide me in layman's term.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Take into consideration that the motion consists of both x and y components (x=vcosθ and y=vsinθ). Perhaps you could try calculating what the initial speed and final speeds are for the y component. Then try calculating how much time it would take for that change in speed using your other kinematics formulas.

Adrian Jimenez said:
Take into consideration that the motion consists of both x and y components (x=vcosθ and y=vsinθ). Perhaps you could try calculating what the initial speed and final speeds are for the y component. Then try calculating how much time it would take for that change in speed using your other kinematics formulas.
Yep, that worked! I've got 2 seconds as the answer and hopefully it must be correct. Thanks :-)

dahano said:
Yep, that worked! I've got 2 seconds as the answer and hopefully it must be correct. Thanks :-)
I confirm 2 sec. (More precisely, 2.03, using 9.8 for g.)

What is the formula for finding velocity using given angle?

The formula for finding velocity using given angle is v = d / t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula is known as the average velocity formula.

Can I use any unit of measurement for distance and time in the formula?

Yes, as long as you use the same unit for both distance and time, you can use any unit of measurement. For example, if you use meters for distance, you should also use seconds for time.

How do I find the angle if I already know the velocity and distance?

To find the angle, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) on a calculator. The formula would be tan^-1 (v / d), where v is velocity and d is distance. This will give you the angle in radians, so you may need to convert it to degrees if necessary.

Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula for finding velocity using given angle can be used for any type of motion, as long as the motion is linear (moving in a straight line) and at a constant speed.

Do I need to know the direction of the motion to find velocity using given angle?

No, the direction of the motion is not needed to find velocity using given angle. The formula only considers the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.