1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding voltage from the E field

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    consider..

Rg3UGT0.png

If i'm trying to find the voltage at point P due to a linear charge density of length L (the white line that lies on the x axis):

then how come it is incorrect to do the following?

$$V=\int{\vec{E_{x}}dx}+\int{\vec{E_{z}}dz}$$?

(the r vector is just to find dE at each point on the charge density of length L)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello I,

What exactly does your equation mean ? Ex ? Ez ? what is dx, dz and what are the integration bounds ?

Also: is your endering of the exercise complete ? r ?

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    $$\vec{E_{x}}$$ and $$\vec{E_{z}}$$ are the electric field vectors in the specified directions, x, and z respectively.

I'm not concerned with specific bounds at this time right now i am only concerned with whether or not i have the right expression for potential at some point in space i decided to call "P".

i don't know what you mean

"(the r vector is just to find dE at each point on the charge density of length L)"

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to find the potential at point P due to the line charge on the x-axis.

If you already, at all points in space, know the electric field, cause by the line charge, then you can integrate, e.g. Ez dz from z =∞ to z = z(P) to get V.

Or Ex dx from x =-∞, z = z(P) to x = 0, z = z(P)

These two under the assumption that V = 0 far away from the wire (which x = ∞, z = z(P) does not satisfy).

They look like your integrals, only one has dx = 0 and the other dz = 0 (makes life easier).

---

My question about the Rendering (sorry) of the original problem was inspired by the fact that I am missing an indication of what z is, what r is, whether the charge density on the line is a constant, ...

---

Since you don't work out your integrals, I am inclined to believe you do not have an expression for ##\vec E(x,z)## for all ##x,z##. You could embark on finding one, but the exercise only asks for the potential.

I take it you do have an expression for V as a function of q and r at hand. So if you chop your line charge into little pieces with length dx, each little piece having a charge ##dq = \lambda dx## and contributing a little ##dV = ... dq = ... dx##, I am sure you can easily write down an integral that finds you V diectly!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted