1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume given by curves using integral

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
    2y=5 sqrt(x), y=3 and 2y+4x=9

2. Relevant equations
    Integral of right function - left function if integrating with respect to y

3. The attempt at a solution
    I decided to integrate with respect to y since after I got the graph, the area is kind of split up into two different parts if you decide to do it with respect x. So if I do it with respect to y the right function would be 2y=5 sqrt(x) and to make it with respect to y it would be (4/5)y^2. The left function is 2y+4x=9 or with respect to y it would be -(2y-9)/4.

To find the bounds I found where the line y=3 intersected with 2y=5 sqrt(x) and where 2y=5 sqrt(x) intersected with 2y+4x=9. I found my "y bounds" to be 2 to 3.

So I plug everything in.

Integral from 2 to 3 of: (4/25)*y^2 - [(-2y-9)/4]
    So then I took the anti-derivative and got

4/75y^3 - 1/4y^2 + 9/4y

Then I plugged 3 into the above equation to get my F(b) and then plugged in 2 into the equation to get my F(a). I did F(b)-F(a)

(4/75*(3)^3+1/4*(3)^2+9/4*(3)) - (4/75*(2)^3+1/4*(2)^2+9/4*(2)) = 4.513333

... which is not the answer :( Can someone please help me? I'm sorry if this is hard to read, I tried using the symbols but it kept messing everything up; I'm new to this forum and I don't really know how to use the symbols.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2
    I think you got the lower bound of y wrong. Check your algebra. Hint: It might be easier to find the value of x that satisfies 2y=5sqrt (x) and 2y+4x=9, then plug x into the equation to get the y-value.
  4. Aug 19, 2010 #3
    You're right, the lower bound was my problem... I think I estimated it on a graph instead of actually getting the correct decimals and the online homework I am doing is very specific with answers. Thank you, I have completed this problem finally :) Now on to more...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook