Finding Volume of the solid, Integral

In summary, the question asks for the volume of a solid resulting from revolving a circular disk with the equation x^2 + y^2 <= a^2 around the line x = a. The correct formula for the volume is v = integral(a, b) (2pi)y [F(y) - G(y)] dy, where b is not equal to a. The equation to represent the volume element is incorrect and the interval of integration should be [0, b]. A sketch of the disk and resulting solid would be helpful in understanding the problem.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

Question Reads: A circular disk x ^2 + y^2 <= a ^ 2 , a > 0 is revolved about the line x = a.
Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Homework Equations

v = integral(a, b) (2pi)y [F(y) - G(y)] dy

The Attempt at a Solution

Im currently confused, should i take intergral with respect to x or y?
and what does this x = a tell me ?
does it just mean integral from (0, a)

Physics news on Phys.org
lovemake1 said:

Homework Statement

Question Reads: A circular disk x ^2 + y^2 <= a ^ 2 , a > 0 is revolved about the line x = a.
Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Homework Equations

v = integral(a, b) (2pi)y [F(y) - G(y)] dy

The Attempt at a Solution

Im currently confused, should i take intergral with respect to x or y?
It depends on whether you use washers or cylindrical shells for your typical volume elements.

I'm guessing that you haven't drawn a sketch of the disk, and one of the solid of revolution. If that's the case, draw them. It's harder to get a handle on these kinds of problems if you don't have a good sense of what the region being revolved and the resulting solid look like.
lovemake1 said:
and what does this x = a tell me ?
does it just mean integral from (0, a)
x = a is the vertical line that the disk (the circle and its interior) is revolved around.

ok so since this is a shell method.
i would have to represent in y integral.sqrt(y^2 - a ^2) = x
V= integral(0, a) 2pix(sqrt(y^2 - a ^2))dx

is that correct?

lovemake1 said:
ok so since this is a shell method.
i would have to represent in y integral.
I don't understand what you mean. If you mean an integral with dy, then no.
lovemake1 said:
sqrt(y^2 - a ^2) = x
There's no reason to solve for x, but there's a very good reason to solve for y. In any case, your equation above is incorrect. If you square both sides, you get y2 - a2 = x2, or y2 - x2 = a2. That's not what you started with.
lovemake1 said:
V= integral(0, a) 2pix(sqrt(y^2 - a ^2))dx

is that correct?
No. Did you draw a picture? If you had, you would see that the interval of integration is not [0, a].
In my drawing, this is the formula for the typical volume element. What is the interval over which [itex]\Delta x[/itex] ranges?
[tex]\Delta V = 2\pi (a - x)2y\Delta x[/tex]

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a solid refers to the amount of space that it occupies. In other words, it is the measure of how much three-dimensional space a solid object takes up.

2. How is the volume of a solid calculated?

The volume of a solid can be calculated by finding the integral of the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the solid over a given interval. This involves breaking down the solid into infinitely small slices and then integrating the cross-sectional area function over the given interval.

3. What is the difference between calculating volume using integrals and using geometric formulas?

The traditional geometric formulas for calculating volume, such as the formula for the volume of a cylinder or a sphere, only work for basic shapes. Integrals, on the other hand, can be used to find the volume of any solid, regardless of its shape or complexity.

4. Can integrals be used to find the volume of irregular solids?

Yes, integrals can be used to find the volume of irregular solids. This is because integrals allow us to break down the solid into infinitely small slices, making it possible to calculate the volume of each slice and then add them up to find the total volume of the solid.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrals to find the volume of a solid?

While integrals can be used to find the volume of any solid, the process can become more complex for irregular or non-symmetric shapes. Additionally, the integral may not always be easy to evaluate, especially for more complex functions. In these cases, alternative methods such as numerical integration may be used.