1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding where two curves share tangent lines

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all points for which the curves [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=3[/itex] and [itex]x^3+y^3+z^3=3[/itex] share the same tangent line.

2. Relevant equations
    Sharing the same tangent line amounts to having the same derivative. The constraint then is that [itex]3x^2+3y^2+3z^2=2x+2y+2z[/itex]. The points must obviously also lie on the original curves.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Combining the constraint on the derivatives ([itex]3(x^2+y^2+z^2)-2(x+y+z)=0[/itex]) with the constraint that [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=x^3+y^3+z^3=3[/itex] we see that the constraint on the derivatives becomes [itex]3(3)-2(x+y+z)=0[/itex] which is just the planar equation [itex]2(x+y+z)=9[/itex]. This feels wrong to me; these curves should not intersect at a plane. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those aren't curves, they are surfaces. Tangent lines aren't usually what you talk about with surfaces although I guess there's no law against it.:uhh:

If it's any help to you, here's a picture of the two surfaces:

surfaces.jpg

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I believe this is not quite finished, though. You have found that your points must lie in the plane x + y + z = 9/2 , but you must still introduce a constraint, since plainly this equation alone permits "solutions" which are far from the sphere. You could, say, write z in terms of x and y using the equation for the sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook