Finding whether a filter is low/high/band pass

• Thread starter t.kirschner99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
Z-transform and see if that helps.In summary, the given IIR filter is a band pass filter with an amplitude response of 1/2 at w = 0, w = 1/2, and w = 1. The initial and final value theorems can be applied to the Z-transform to verify this result.
t.kirschner99

Homework Statement

Consider the IIR filter yn = xn - yn-2

State whether the filter is low, high, or band pass.

Homework Equations

The Z-transform: $$H(z) = \frac {1} {1+z^2},$$

Subbing ##z = e^{2πiw}## : $$H(w) = \frac {1} {1+e^{4πiw}},$$

Amplitude response: $$|H(w)| = \sqrt{{(\frac {1} {1 + cos{(4πw)}})}^2 + {(\frac {1} {sin{(4πw)}})}^2},$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the domain ##w = [0,1]##

##w = 0##

Amplitude response would equal ##\frac {1} {2}##

##w = \frac {1} {2}##

##w = 1##

Doesn't this not prove anything? I know the answer is band pass, but I would expect zeroes on both ends and a number greater than zero in the middle.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a filter and how does it work?

A filter is an electronic circuit that allows certain frequencies of a signal to pass through while blocking others. It works by using components such as capacitors, inductors, and resistors to attenuate or amplify specific frequencies.

2. How can I determine if a filter is low/high/band pass?

The easiest way to determine the type of a filter is to look at its frequency response graph. A low pass filter will have a gradual decrease in amplitude as the frequency increases, a high pass filter will have a gradual increase in amplitude as the frequency increases, and a band pass filter will have a peak in amplitude at a specific frequency range.

3. What are the applications of low/high/band pass filters?

Low pass filters are commonly used in audio systems to remove high frequency noise and in power supplies to smooth out the output voltage. High pass filters are used in crossover networks for speakers and in signal processing to remove low frequency noise. Band pass filters are used in radio communications, audio equalizers, and in medical devices for filtering specific frequencies.

4. How do I design a low/high/band pass filter?

The design of a filter depends on the specific requirements and components available. Generally, a filter can be designed by selecting the appropriate components and using equations or software to calculate the values for the components. It is also important to consider the frequency response and stability of the filter.

5. Are there any limitations to using low/high/band pass filters?

Yes, there are limitations to using filters. Some of the common limitations include the insertion loss, which is the amount of attenuation the filter causes to the signal, and the roll-off rate, which is how quickly the filter attenuates frequencies outside of its passband. Other limitations may include the cost and size of the components used in the filter design.