1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A signal on a noisy channel is input to a filter

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    This is not homework. Im doing old exams so i have the full solution but need help understanding it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A WSS random signal {X(t)}t∈R with PSD S_X(ω) is transmitted on a noisy channel where it is disturbed by an additive zero-mean WSS random noise {N(t)}t∈R that is independent of the signal X and has PSD S_N (ω).

The recived signal Y (t) = X(t)+N(t) is input to a linear system (/filter) with output signal Z(t) that has frequency response

##H(ω) = S_X (ω)/(S_X (ω) + S_N (ω)).##

Express the mean-square deviation

##E((Z(t)− X(t))^2)##

in terms of

##S_X , S_N##.

3. The solution

Writing h for the impulse response of the filter and ⋆ for convolution the fact that h ⋆ N is zero-mean and independent of X (as N is) readily gives that

##E((Z(t) − X(t))^2) = E(((h ⋆X)(t) + (h ⋆N)(t) − X(t))^2) =##

##(i) = E((((h−δ)⋆X)(t) + (h ⋆N)(t))^2) =##

##= E(((h−δ)⋆X)(t)^2 + (h⋆N)(t)^2) = ##

## (ii) = 1/2π \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} [|H(ω)−1|^2 S_X(ω) + |H(ω)|^2 S_N(ω)] dω = ##

##. . . = 1/2π \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} S_X(ω)S_N(ω)/(S_X (ω) +S_N(ω)) dω ##

I dont understand how you get to lines (i) and (ii) and i cant find any definitions that explains those steps.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are WSS and PSD? I can guess the first one, but why should I need to? I cannot even guess about the second one.

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3
    Sorry, WSS = Wide sense stationary and PSD = Power spectral density

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted