Finding work to move a point charge to the center of a thin ring.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
zbou
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Find the work required to move a point charge from infinitely far away to the center of a thin ring.

The point charge is q= 1nanocoulomb.
The rings charge is Q= 2 nanoC.
The ring has a radius r=2m.

Homework Equations



U= qV
W= -U

Thoughts
I think the first thing to consider is the field E created by the ring. I also know that this problem should be able to be solved with a single integral.

I don't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi zbou! welcome to pf! :smile:

the work done for the whole will be the sum of the work done for each part :wink:
 
zbou said:
I don't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance
How about calculating the potential in the center of the ring?