1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding x for a spring using energy equations

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't a homework question, just something I've been thinking about. If given a situation in which mass m is hung on a spring with constant k, I know you can set the spring force equal to the weight of the mass to find how far it stretches. Is there a way to find how far it stretches using energy equations? It seems like it should be doable, but I can't figure out how.

2. Relevant equations

w = mg
    F = -kx
    ΔUg = mgh
    Us = kx2/2

3. The attempt at a solution

As I said, setting mg = kx can solve for x. How do I do it with energy though?
    Ug = Us
    mgx = kx2/2

But now I get a different answer for x. What did I do wrong with the energy equations?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2
    The energy approach will give you the farthest the mass on the spring will fall. This is not the equilibrium position. Think about it, if I let the mass drop, then when it passes the equilibrium position, it will not have zero velocity.

4. May 3, 2013 #3
    Ah. This makes sense now! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted