1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Young's Modulus for Steel from two graphs

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the value for Youngs Modulus from the two following graphs:
    Graph 1: Plot a graph of depression in metres (D) against load in kilograms (M)
    Graph 2: Plot a graph of log_10(D) against log_10 of Length of cantilever.

2. Relevant equations

D = 4*L^3*m*g / Y*a*b^3

Where
    D = depression
    L = length of cantilever
    m = mass of load on free end of cantilever
    a = width of cantilever
    b = thickness of cantilever

Equation for Graph 1: y = 0.9843x + 0.001, where y = depression and x = load
    Equation for Graph 2: log(y) = 2.5074 * log(x) + 0.2922, where y = depression and x = length of cantilever

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to get Y by re-arranging the straight line equation for Y.
    So:

Y = 4*L^3*m*g / D*a*b^3

But this gives me 1.067*10^11. Which is quite a way off Youngs Modulus for steel.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are two independent variables in your experiment: length and weight. If you plotted a graph for each then you must be holding the other value fixed, yes? Your observed equations aren't meaningful unless you specify the value for the variable that was held fixed. Without that, you cannot combine them into a single equation.
    I note that the observed exponent for length is 2.5, which is rather a long way off the expected 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted