Finging the charge on each capacitor in series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge on each capacitor in a series circuit with known resistance and voltage values. The equation C=Q/V is mentioned, as well as the loop rule and the equation 1/Ceq=(1/C1)+(1/C2). The central question is "What are the charges on the two capacitors?" and the conclusion is that the capacitors are fully charged and no current is flowing, resulting in a voltage drop across the resistors. The recommendation is to consult lecture notes, a textbook, or an online resource for more information.
CogitoEAS
Finding the charge on each capacitor in series

Homework Statement

In the circuit in the figure below, assume the resistance values are R1=1,400Ω and R2=2,500Ω, C1=55μF and C2=15μF, and the emf=5.5 V. The switch is labeled S.

Consider the circuit in the figure below and assume the switch has been closed for a very long time.

What are the charges on the two capacitors?

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 11.41.28 PM.png

Homework Equations

C=Q/V, Loop Rule - 5.5-(Q1/55e-6)-(Q2/15e-6)=0, 1/Ceq=(1/C1)+(1/C2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm just blanking on something here because it's either a matter of finding the potential across each capacitor or finding another equation relating Q1 and Q2 so that I can solve for both. Maybe Qtotal=CV(1-e^(-t/tau))=Q1+Q2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CogitoEAS said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit in the figure below, assume the resistance values are R1=1,400Ω and R2=2,500Ω, C1=55μF and C2=15μF, and the emf=5.5 V. The switch is labeled S.

Consider the circuit in the figure below and assume the switch has been closed for a very long time.

Homework Equations

C=Q/V, Loop Rule - 5.5-(Q1/55e-6)-(Q2/15e-6)=0, 1/Ceq=(1/C1)+(1/C2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm just blanking on something here because it's either a matter of finding the potential across each capacitor or finding another equation relating Q1 and Q2 so that I can solve for both. Maybe Qtotal=CV(1-e^(-t/tau))=Q1+Q2?

What is the question?

How are the charges on series capacitors related?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Yes, sorry, I've added the central question "What are the charges on the two capacitors?" to the original post. I'm also 100% sure I spelled FINDING right in the title but for some reason the d keeps getting changed to a g?!

Thank you!

And we hen they say it has been switched on for a very long time they are hoping you will reason out 'the capacitors are as charged as they ever will be, so no current isnflowingr, now the voltage drop across resistors when there is no current is...'

What is the formula for finding the charge on each capacitor in series?

The formula for finding the charge on each capacitor in series is Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

How do you calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in series?

To calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in series, you can use the formula C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of each capacitor.

Can the charge on each capacitor in series be different?

Yes, the charge on each capacitor in series can be different depending on the capacitance and voltage of each capacitor. However, the total charge on all the capacitors in series will be the same.

What happens to the total capacitance when capacitors are connected in series?

When capacitors are connected in series, the total capacitance decreases. This is because the effective capacitance is inversely proportional to the sum of the individual capacitances.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the charge on each capacitor in series?

Calculating the charge on each capacitor in series is important in designing electronic circuits and devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. It is also used in power transmission and distribution systems.