Finishing undergrad school -- What are my options?

In summary, the individual is struggling to find a direction after completing their undergraduate degree at a university in Spain. They are looking for help and advice and would appreciate any input. They have good grades overall, but did not do well in their first two years and are now trying to improve their grades. They are interested in different fields of physics and would like to know more about them.
voila
Hi
I'm finishing undergrad school at a university in Spain. It's taken me 5 years (was supposed to be 4) and my grades are mediocre (trying to reach a 7 out of 10).

My university itself is a trainwreck, a disaster. Most of what I've actually, properly learned was during my year at Nottingham University. My grades there were a bit better (≈75%). And now I don't know where to go. Also, my university has resits exams in september-october, meaning that would be a handicap towards starting a master's degree next year...

I'm looking for help, for I really don't know what my options are, and I'm totally disconnected from the world that I may be entering. I started in physics with Theoretical Physics in mind, but friends have taken that idea out of my head; as beautiful as it is, it also implies a tough life.

Other typical masters that I know of are the ones in Astronomy, Nuclear physics, Biophysics... which I'm not fond of (could think about Nuclear, but still I barely know how it'd be). And that's all I know about the ones in Physics. I have been told about the field of condensed matter, but I know nothing about it.
Other options I have been looking are Engineering masters. I had an eye on satellite design. But again, I don't know of many other options.

Any help and insight will be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know that system, but one thing about graduate school is that it tends not to get much easier. So if you're struggling with the material, or you don't feel like you've gotten a decent education, then you're likely going to struggle just as much or more in a master's program. The exception might be if you discover something you really have a deep passion for and as a result end up engaging with your studies.

Lots of people struggle with the direction to go after undergrad. It's not an easy choice, particularly if you've chosen an academic undergraduate education (such as physics) as opposed to a more professional one (such as engineering).

If you don't know much about the different branches of physics at this point, you have to either start doing some groundwork - reading, attending talks, talking with professors and graduate students - in order to figure out; or figure out how to translate the skills that you have learned into something marketable in the real world. There are a lot of options out there, but often they're not obvious, and difficult to come by.

I am capable of dealing with the subjects; in fact, my grades are really good now. My average, though, is low because my first two years didn't go well. I just mentioned my average grades in case they could be of relevance.
I have attended talks, but they haven't given me much info. Overall, I've heard of the fields I mentioned, but I haven't been given much of an insight. I'm looking for that, as well as to learn about any other field (academic or professional) that people here can tell me about.

1. What are my options after finishing undergrad school?

After completing your undergraduate degree, you have several options to consider. You can pursue a graduate degree in your field of study, apply for jobs in your chosen industry, or take a gap year to gain work experience or travel.

2. Should I go straight to graduate school after finishing undergrad?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Some students choose to go straight to graduate school to further specialize in their field, while others prefer to gain work experience before pursuing a higher degree.

3. What types of graduate degrees can I pursue?

There are various types of graduate degrees, such as a Master's degree, Ph.D., professional degree, or specialized degrees like an MBA or JD. It's essential to research and consider your career goals when deciding which degree to pursue.

4. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree for my career?

It depends on your chosen career path. Some industries may require a graduate degree for certain positions, while others may value work experience more. It's essential to research the job market and speak with professionals in your chosen field to determine the necessary qualifications.

5. Can I take a gap year before pursuing further education or entering the workforce?

Yes, taking a gap year can be a valuable experience. It allows you to gain work experience, explore different career options, or travel and gain new perspectives. However, it's essential to have a plan and set goals for how you will use your gap year effectively.