Finite element methods for Yield Line Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps needed to accurately estimate the yield lines of reinforced concrete structures and how to transfer them to beams. The speaker mentions their familiarity with thin/thick plates and shells and their use of commercial packages for convergence. They also mention various sources and methods for yield line analysis, including pseudo yield line patterns and the use of virtual work and equilibrium methods. The speaker is seeking further clarification on the implementation of these methods with FEM.
Ronankeating
Hi All,

I'd like to what kind of steps need to be taken to accurately estimate the yield lines of RC structures. My intention is, to know what type of loading is acting on beams transferred from slabs. I know how to formulate thin/thick plates and shells. The results converges with commercial packages but how is the way obtain the yielding line formation and how to correctly transfer it to beams?

It doesn't mean that I'm completely new to the yield line analysis, I've read the Theories and Applications of Plate Analysis by Rudolph Szilard and many nomenclatures e.g.
"GENERAL COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR THE YIELD-LINE SOLUTION OF EDGE SUPPORTED SLABS"
"A computerised method for rigid-plastic yield-line analysis of slabs"
"NUMERICAL YIELD LINE ANALYSIS" by D. BAUER and R. G. REDWOOD

Many of them starts with pseudo yield line pattern where I'm completely confounded how they found it and proceed with refinement and optimization of it, either by Vurtual Work and Equilibrium Method to find the correct Yield Line pattern. Although I've introductory info, this still remains unclear and vague for me. Does anybody can shed some light on that, especially how can be implemented with FEM.

Your comments will be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your help will be appreciated,

1. What is the purpose of using finite element methods for yield line analysis?

The purpose of using finite element methods for yield line analysis is to determine the critical failure mechanism, or yield line pattern, in a structure under loading. This method uses numerical analysis to discretize the structure into finite elements, allowing for a more accurate representation of the structural behavior.

2. How does the finite element method handle material nonlinearity in yield line analysis?

The finite element method can handle material nonlinearity in yield line analysis by using nonlinear material models to represent the stress-strain behavior of the materials. These models can account for the plastic behavior of materials, which is important in yield line analysis as it involves analyzing structures beyond their elastic limit.

3. What are the advantages of using finite element methods for yield line analysis?

Some advantages of using finite element methods for yield line analysis include: the ability to handle complex geometries and loading conditions, the ability to incorporate material nonlinearity, and the ability to provide a detailed understanding of the structural behavior. Additionally, this method allows for efficient analysis of large structures, as it can be easily scaled up to handle more elements.

4. Are there any limitations to using finite element methods for yield line analysis?

One limitation of using finite element methods for yield line analysis is that it requires a high level of expertise and knowledge in numerical analysis techniques. This method also requires significant computational resources and time, especially for large and complex structures. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the mesh density and element shape used in the analysis.

5. How is the failure mechanism determined in yield line analysis using finite element methods?

The failure mechanism, or yield line pattern, is determined by analyzing the results of the finite element analysis and identifying the most critical yield lines in the structure. These yield lines represent the path of maximum plastic deformation and are used to determine the ultimate load-carrying capacity of the structure. The yield line pattern can also be used to identify potential failure modes and assess the safety of the structure.