1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Sheets of Charge Compared to Infinite Sheets of Charge

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

Consider two thin disks, of negligible thickness, of radius R oriented perpendicular to the x axis such that the x axis runs through the center of each disk. The disk centered at x=0 has positive charge density n, and the disk centered at x=a has negative charge density -n, where the charge density is charge per unit area.

For what value of the ratio R/a of plate radius to separation between the plates does the electric field at the point x=a/2 on the x axis differ by 1 percent from the result n/epsilon_0 for infinite sheets?

2. Relevant equations

E(disk_x) = n/(2epsilon_0) * (1-((x)/(sqrt(x^2 + R^2))))

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found the electric field at x=a/2 to be:

E(disk_x) = 2*(n/(2*epsilon_0) * (1-((.5a)/(sqrt((.5a)^2 + R^2))))

However, I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I work the above equation to get what R/a is equal to and then set it equal to .99*(n/epsilon_0)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Set that expression equal to .99*(n/epsilon_0) and solve for R/a. (Hint: First rewrite that expression in terms of R/a.)

4. Sep 11, 2007 #3
    So now I have:

Sorry this is gonna be messy...

R/a = sqrt(.25*((1-((epsilon_0*E)/n))^-2)-.25) = .99(n/(epsilon_0))

How do I deal with the E? If I sub in the other equation won't that just negate everything? I'm also asked to give the answer to two significant digits, but I don't see how the R/a ratio is going to give me numbers without that E still in it.

Help me out Doc please :)

5. Sep 11, 2007 #4
    Okay I got it on my own.

Using the %difference = (E_infinite - E)/(E_infinite)

Since E = n/epsilon_0 * (1-((.5a)/(sqrt((.5a)^2 + R^2)))) approaces n/epsilon_0 as R/a approaches infinity you can plug in n/epsilon_0 for E_infinite and the original equation for E. Solving this for %difference = .01 you arrive at R/a = 50.

Nasty little problem...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?