1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finnding the error in approximating an infinite series

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hi, sorry i wasnt quite sure where to post this. I think i know how to do it but have not encountered a question like it and dont have a mark scheme so thought id post it up to see if my thinking is correct.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(c) By considering the integral of 1/(x^3) between N and infinity, where N is an integer, find the error in approximating the sum of 1/(x^3) from r=1 to infinity by its first 5 terms.

2. Relevant equations

Sum = (sum to N terms) + (1/2)(A[n]+A[n+1])

Where A[N] is the integral of the function from N to infinity
    Where A[N+1] is the integral of the function from N+1 to infinity

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so i think you know the error will be Sum-sum to 5 terms so bring (sum to N terms) to the other side. This will equal the error.

Integrate 1/(x^3) to get -1/(2(x^2)). Putting in x=5 (A[N]) and x=6 (A[N+1]) equal 1/50 and 1/72. Thus the errror = (1/100)+(1/144) or 244/14400

Is this right? The problem really is i cant get hold of a mark scheme to see the correct method.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't see any mistakes.

I tried summing the first 10,000 terms and just the first 5 terms in Mathematica. The difference came out to be 0.0163949. Your error estimate is 0.0169444.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook