Firebrick wrapped with aluminum foil

• Thread starter M&M123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of firebricks, one wrapped in aluminum foil and one without, placed above a gas burner. The temperature of the bricks is dependent on various factors such as convective and radiant heat transfer, as well as the convective heat transfer coefficient. The burner's temperature is estimated to be around 500 degrees F, and the use of other materials as insulation is recommended. However, there is no formula to easily calculate the temperature difference between the two bricks. The purpose of this experiment is unclear.
M&M123
I two firebricks, one is wrapped with 4 layers of aluminum foil and the other one is not. If both are placed 10 " above a gas burner (not in contact with the flames), which one will have a higher temperature? What equations need to be used to calculate heat transfer between aluminum foil and firebrick?

Assuming no air gap between aluminium foil and firebrick.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the burner hot enough to melt or burn the foil?

The burner Max BTU is 25000

At what temperature?

I am not sure what is the temperature a 25000 btu burner can generate... let's assume 1000 deg F

Any one of several things can happen since we are getting close to the melting point of the aluminum. At the very least it will deform and maybe fall off. It will certainly oxidize rapidly, which will result either in it turning to powder and falling off, or it could catch fire and burn away. The rapid oxidation may produce enough hydrogen to burn, and that may cause it to reach its melting point. So it really is not possible to know for sure what will happen.

But let’s assume we pick a lower number so that the aluminum foil retains its original physical configuration. Let’s also assume that the hot gas flow is the same and we will ignore any burning hydrogen shed by the aluminum.

Now the convective heat transfer in the two cases will depend upon the convective heat transfer coefficient. Without testing it, I don’t know the numbers for sure. But most likely the coefficient is higher without the foil, so more heat will be transferred to the brick in that case and it will get hotter.

We also have radiant heat transfer from the flame. That will be higher without the foil, so again the brick will get hotter.

Any heat that gets transferred to the aluminum covered brick will have to conduct through the aluminum, which will provide a small amount of thermal resistance, slowing down heat transfer to the brick. So again, the brick gets hotter without the foil.

So for this temperature assumption, all modes of heat transfer result in a hotter brick without the foil.

Edit: I'm used to working with flames that are between 2300 and 5000 degrees F. So that is why I was asking the question. But after thinking about it, a common burner is sucking combustion air in at a low rate via natural convection, so the flame temperature will be much less than my flames that are fed by huge air compressors. Also, in the ten inches above the flame, much ambient air will be drawn in, further cooling the flame exhaust gas. I'm guessing that actual gas flow temperature at the brick would be in the neighborhood of 500 degrees F, unless you did something to prevent exhaust gas dilution.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great response. You'r right, the flame temp is more likely to be around 500 than 1000.

What about if I just cover the top of one stone with foil?

I am trying to get a delta of at least 100 deg F between the two stones. Any other material you recommend to use as an insulator (can withstand at least 1000 F)

Thanks for the link, is it sufficient to insulate just top of the stone to get a 100 deg f delta. I am looking for formula to calculate temperature

M&M123 said:
Thanks for the link, is it sufficient to insulate just top of the stone to get a 100 deg f delta. I am looking for formula to calculate temperature

You will not find it.

The temperature depends upon too many factors to be easily calculatable. The best you can do is analyse all the energy exchanges to set up a differnetial equation which you will then need to solve.

It might help if you explained the bigger picture of what you are trying to do here. "Getting a temperature difference between the two bricks" doesn't sound like the whole story.

1. What is the purpose of wrapping firebrick with aluminum foil?

The purpose of wrapping firebrick with aluminum foil is to provide insulation and reflect heat back into the fire. This can help the fire burn more efficiently and retain heat for a longer period of time.

2. Is it safe to wrap firebrick with aluminum foil?

Yes, it is safe to wrap firebrick with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is a non-combustible material and will not catch fire from the heat of the fire. However, it is important to ensure that the foil is securely wrapped and there are no gaps that could potentially allow flames to come into contact with the foil.

3. Can I reuse the aluminum foil after wrapping firebrick?

Yes, the aluminum foil can be reused after wrapping firebrick. As long as the foil is not damaged or torn, it can be used again for future fires. However, it is important to check for any signs of damage before reusing the foil to ensure it will still provide proper insulation.

4. How does wrapping firebrick with aluminum foil affect the temperature of the fire?

Wrapping firebrick with aluminum foil can increase the temperature of the fire. The foil reflects heat back into the fire, making it burn hotter and more efficiently. This can be especially beneficial in colder weather or when trying to cook food over the fire.

5. Are there any alternative materials I can use to wrap firebrick besides aluminum foil?

Yes, there are alternative materials that can be used to wrap firebrick, such as fire-resistant fabric or ceramic fiber blankets. However, aluminum foil is a cost-effective and easily accessible option that has been proven to be effective in insulating and reflecting heat for fires.