First and second derivative of a parametric

In summary, the first derivative of y is -e^-t and the second derivative is -(e^t - e^2t)^-2 (e^t - 2e^2t). The process used to find the second derivative is not clear, but the first derivative can be simplified to -e^-t.
Exeneva

Homework Statement

[tex]x = t - e^{t}[/tex]

[tex]y = t + e^{-t}[/tex]

Find dy/dx and [tex]d^{2}y/dx.[/tex]

Homework Equations

Derivative equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dt = [tex]1 - e^{-t}[/tex]

dx/dt = [tex]1 - e^{t}[/tex]

The dy/dx I came up with is:
dy/dx = [tex](1 - e^{-t}) / (1 - e^{t})[/tex]

Second derivative I came up with is:
[tex]d^{2}y/dx[/tex] =[tex] - (e^{t} - e^{2t})^{-2} (e^{t} - 2e^{2t})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you meant y=t+e^(-t) the first derivative looks ok. The second derivative doesn't. Mind showing us how you got it?

I think I tried to do a chain rule but screwed up somewhere.

It's rather hard to find [itex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx}[/itex]. You should be looking for [itex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/itex].

Sorry, that's what I meant, the second derivative (just forgot the squared on the bottom).

My main issue is I'm not sure how I was supposed to have found the second derivative. I tried to do a reverse chain rule but I am pretty sure I did it wrong.

Exeneva said:
I think I tried to do a chain rule but screwed up somewhere.

Exeneva said:
Sorry, that's what I meant, the second derivative (just forgot the squared on the bottom).

My main issue is I'm not sure how I was supposed to have found the second derivative. I tried to do a reverse chain rule but I am pretty sure I did it wrong.
It would help if you showed us your actual work. Just saying "I tried this and it didn't work" isn't very helpful.

By the way, the first derivative simplifies quite a bit, down to dy/dx=-e-t.

1. What is the first derivative of a parametric function?

The first derivative of a parametric function represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable in the function. It is calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the parametric function with respect to the independent variable.

2. How is the first derivative used in parametric equations?

The first derivative is used to find the slope of the curve described by the parametric equation at a specific point. It can also be used to find the velocity and acceleration of a moving object described by the parametric equations.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the first derivative in parametric equations?

The first derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to the parametric curve at a given point. This can also be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

4. How is the second derivative of a parametric function calculated?

The second derivative of a parametric function is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative. In other words, it is the rate of change of the first derivative and represents the concavity of the curve at a given point.

5. What is the significance of the second derivative in parametric equations?

The second derivative is used to determine the inflection points of a parametric curve, where the curve changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a parametric function.