1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Law of Thermodynamics (Eint = Q-W) question. I am only stuck on part (d)

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    When a system is taken from state i to state f along path iaf in the figure, Q = 60 cal and W = 10 cal. Along path ibf, Q = 65 cal.
    hrw7_18-41.gif
    (a) What is W along path ibf? (b) If W = -19 cal for the return path fi, what is Q for this path? (c) If Eint,i = 11 cal, what is Eint,f?(d) If Eint,b = 27 cal what is Q for path ib?(e) For the same value of Eint,b, what is Q for path bf?
    2. Relevant equations
    Eint= internal energy of the system; Q= heat; W= work
    I have used Eint= Q - W to solve most of the problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I only am marked wrong on part d which is very frustrating. So far I have:
    (a)Wibf = 15 cal because W= Q-E (b) Qfi= -69 cal because Q= -(E)+W (c) Eint,f= 61 cal because Eint,f= Eint+Ei (d) Qib= ? (e) Qbf= 34 because Eint,f =E-Eint,b
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, zag4life. Welcome to PF.

How does the work for i [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]b compare to the work for i[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]b[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f?

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    Well, from b to f, because the volume does not change, work is equal to zero. The work for i,b,f would be the same as the work for i,b I think.

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. So, use that to get Q for ib.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook