Is Internal Energy Change Consistent for Different Paths in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pressure difference between states b and f, given specific values for heat and work along paths iaf and ibf and the difference in volume between states i and b. The individual is attempting to solve the problem but is facing difficulties with incorrect answers. They also ask about the relationship between internal energy and the pressure difference and how to calculate it.
2Pac
When a system is taken from state i to state f along the path iaf as shown in the figure, it is found that Qiaf = 53.6 cal and Wiaf = 30.5 cal. Along the path ibf, Qibf = 38.0 cal.
If the difference in volume between states i and b is 0.023 m3, what is the pressure dufference betwen states b and f?

Attachments

• prob03a.gif
    prob03a.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the work done along the path ibf to be 14.9cal, converted that to J and divided by .023m^3 to get a pressure in PA. converted 30.5 cal to joules and divided by .023m^3 again. subtracted the two... answer is incorrect. so if that isn't the answer how do i go about solving this?

you might want to settle down for a minute, none of us can see your diagram at this time.

diagram looks like this:
PHP:
    ^
|    a__________________________ f
|     |                          |
P     |                          |
|     |__________________________| 
|    i                            b
|_____________________________________>
0                        V

I guess i'll give you another day to help me out. :-p

change internal energy is a state function right, would the change in internal energy be equal for iaf and ibf? If so, how can you calculate the change in internal energy, and from this how can you calculate the pressure difference?

Related to Is Internal Energy Change Consistent for Different Paths in Thermodynamics?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It is concerned with the transfer of energy from one form to another and the conversion of heat into work.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that energy will always flow from hot to cold objects, and that the overall disorder or randomness in a system will always increase.

What is an example of a thermodynamics problem?

An example of a thermodynamics problem is calculating the efficiency of a car engine. This involves understanding how heat energy is converted into mechanical work, and the losses that occur in the process.

What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero (0 Kelvin) through any finite number of processes.

How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is used in everyday life in many ways, including the production of electricity, refrigeration and air conditioning, cooking, and even our own metabolism. It is also essential in the study of climate change and the functioning of the Earth's atmosphere.