Help with this Law of Thermodynamics question please

In summary: I get ∆T= 1.2K then how do I...On edit: I assumed there is one mole of the gas.Yes, there is one mole of the gas.Yes, there is one mole of the gas.
Gusk
MODERATOR'S NOTE: NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED IN A NON-HOMEWORK FORUM
A monoatomic gas is present i n cylinder if its volume increase from 100cm3 to 200cm3 at constant pressure 1*10^5 what is change in internal energy. I tried to solve it but couldn't.
I tried to solve it by using first law of thermodynamics.
∆U+W=Q
W=P∆V
The only thing I needed was Q but how to get it?
I thought maybe Q=C∆T but T is not given so a bit confused how to solve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about showing us what you tried and we'll take it from there. It would be appropriate to attach units to the pressure you quoted.

kuruman said:
How about showing us what you tried and we'll take it from there. It would be appropriate to attach units to the pressure you quoted.
I have edited

Although it is not homework and it is just a question to prepare for admission in university but I would like hints or something's so that I learn something new and solve it myself.

Gusk said:
Although it is not homework and it is just a question to prepare for admission in university
Welcome to the PF. We treat all schoolwork-type questions (even for self-study and review) the same, so they all go here in the Homework Help forums, and use the Template that is provided when you start a thread here. :smile:

Gusk said:
Although it is not homework and it is just a question to prepare for admission in university but I would like hints or something's so that I learn something new and solve it myself.
How much work is done by the gas on its surroundings?

Chestermiller said:
How much work is done by the gas on its surroundings?
We still don't know the units of pressure so we can't figure that out ... yet.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED IN A NON-HOMEWORK FORUM
A monoatomic gas is present i n cylinder if its volume increase from 100cm3 to 200cm3 at constant pressure 1*10^5 pa what is change in internal energy. I tried to solve it but couldn't.
I tried to solve it by using first law of thermodynamics.
∆U+W=Q
W=P∆V
The only thing I needed was Q but how to get it?
I thought maybe Q=C∆T but T is not given so a bit confused how to solve.

kuruman said:
We still don't know the units of pressure so we can't figure that out ... yet.
Sorry, its pascal.

So, algebraically, what is the equation for the work done by the gas on its surroundings?

Chestermiller said:
So, algebraically, what is the equation for the work done by the gas on its surroundings?
I couldn't understand what you mean?
Maybe W=P∆V

Gusk said:
I couldn't understand what you mean?
Maybe W=P∆V
OK. Now, plug that into the first law of thermodynamics. What do you get?

Chestermiller said:
OK. Now, plug that into the first law of thermodynamics. What do you get?
1*10^7 J

Gusk said:
1*10^7 J
That's not what I get. Can you list separately what you got for ΔW and ΔQ?

On edit: I assumed there is one mole of the gas.

Is the cylinder supposed to be insulated (I.e., adiabatic)?

Chestermiller said:
Can there be adiabatic expansion at constant pressure?

kuruman said:
Can there be adiabatic expansion at constant pressure?
Sure...irreversible expansion at constant externally applied pressure.

However, as you are seem to be indicating (and I agree), the original intent of this problem was probably to consider the expansion as reversible, in which case the expansion would not be adiabatic. There would have to be heat transfer to keep the gas pressure at the original value. Sorry if I may have confused the issue.

Last edited:
kuruman said:

W = P∆V
= ( 1*10^5)(200-100)=1*10^7 J

Chestermiller said:
I simply posted the whole question so I don't know.

kuruman said:

And I don't know how to find ∆Q. Maybe nC∆T and I don't have ∆T.

Gusk said:
And I don't know how to find ∆Q. Maybe nC∆T and I don't have ∆T.
You have the ideal gas law.

kuruman said:
You have the ideal gas law.
I see so P∆V/nR = T right?

Gusk said:
I see so P∆V/nR = T right?
P∆V/nR = ΔT.

kuruman said:
P∆V/nR = ΔT.
If put values in it I get ∆T= 1.2K then how do I find Cp in Q=nCp∆T?

Gusk said:
If put values in it I get ∆T= 1.2K then how do I find Cp in Q=nCp∆T?
$$\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=nC_v\left(\frac{P\Delta V}{nR}\right)=\frac{C_v}{R}(P\Delta V)$$
$$Q=\Delta U+P\Delta V$$

Chestermiller said:
$$\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=nC_v\left(\frac{P\Delta V}{nR}\right)=\frac{C_v}{R}(P\Delta V)$$
$$Q=\Delta U+P\Delta V$$
We have to find ∆U and answer is 150 J and how do I find Cv?

Gusk said:
We have to find ∆U and answer is 150 J and how do I find Cv?
You need to go back to your textbook. It's right in there. Your knowledge base is in serious need of review.

The first thing you need to do is use a consistent set of units. kg, m. sec with the derived unit for force, Newton, n = kg -m/sec^2. You are looking for the change in internal energy, ΔU = n Cv ΔT. Since you are considering a monatomic gas, Cv = (3/2)R. The next move is to derive a function for ΔT. From the perfect gas law pV = nRT, T = pV/nR; Ti = pi Vi /nR, Tf = pf Vf /nR, ΔT = p ΔV/nR, ΔU = n Cv ΔT = n(3/2)R*pΔV/nR = (3/2)pΔV = (3/2)10^5 n/m^2 *10^-4 m^3 = 15 J. I think you were very close but once again I would emphasize that you need to use a consistent set of units and label every number in your calculations with the proper units. I've been in this business for a long time and this is the major difference between an A student and one which ends up recycling.

Related to Help with this Law of Thermodynamics question please

What is the Law of Thermodynamics?

The Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between energy and heat. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

How does the Law of Thermodynamics apply to this question?

The Law of Thermodynamics applies to all systems and processes involving energy. In this question, it is important to consider how energy is transferred or transformed in order to understand the solution.

What is enthalpy and how is it related to the Law of Thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It is closely related to the Law of Thermodynamics as it represents the total energy of a system, including both heat and work.

How does entropy play a role in the Law of Thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The Law of Thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, the total entropy of the universe will always increase. This means that energy tends to spread out and become more disordered over time.

What is the significance of the second Law of Thermodynamics?

The second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, the total entropy of the universe will always increase. This has important implications for understanding natural processes and the direction of time, as well as for engineering and designing efficient systems.