First order differential equation

In summary, the problem is to find the solution for the equation dy(t)/dt + 3y(t) = x(t-2), with t > 0 and y(0) = 0. The solution method involves using parameterization and taking Laplace transforms. However, there is uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and the limits of integration, since the specific function x(t) is not provided.
magnifik
find the solution for the following equation:

dy(t)/dt + 3y(t) = x(t-2), t > 0 and y(0) = 0

i did it by parameterization but am unsure if it is correct. i need help especially with the limits of integration.

y' + 3y = x(t-2)
yh' = -3yh
yh = Ce^-3t
y(t) = v(t)e^-3t
(ve^-3t)' = v'e^-3t - 3ve^-3t
-3ve^-3t + v'e^-3t = -3ve^-3t + x(t-2)
v' = e^3t * x(t-2)
v = int[e^3t * x(t-2) dt] // int means integral
y(t) = e^-3t * int[e^3T * x(T-2) dT] // T is tau
i'm not sure if that's correct. right now i have the limits of integration set to 0 to t

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to take Laplace transforms. I am assuming here that x(t) is a predefined function

we have not discussed Laplace transforms in class yet. x(t-2) stands alone. no further information is given.

What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivative. It represents a relationship between the rate of change of a quantity and the quantity itself. In other words, it describes how a system changes over time.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. In a first-order differential equation, the highest derivative is first order, meaning it is the derivative of the function itself. Higher order differential equations involve higher derivatives.

How do you solve a first-order differential equation?

There is no one specific method for solving a first-order differential equation. It depends on the form of the equation and the type of solution desired. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations.

What are the applications of first-order differential equations?

First-order differential equations are used to model various real-world systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields to describe and predict the behavior of systems over time.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first-order differential equation?

An ordinary first-order differential equation involves one independent variable and its derivative, while a partial first-order differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. Ordinary differential equations are used to describe simple systems, while partial differential equations are used for more complex systems that involve multiple variables.