First Order Linear Differential Equation - I can't solve it

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation dx/dt = 0.63 - (9x / 2060).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the integrating factor. So I integrated 9/2060, to get 9t/2060. Therefore e^(9t/2060) is my integrating factor.

Multiply 0.63 by that integrating factor to get 0.63e^(9t/2060) on the left side of the equation.

Integrate the left side, and you get 144.2e^(9x/2060). The right side of the equation looks like (e^(9t/2060))x right now.

I need this in a function of x so I divide by e^(9t/2060)... and I get x = 144.2.

But that doesn't make sense in the context of the question. What I have should be something that varies with t...

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You don't need an integrating factor. It's separable. You just have to integrate something of the form dx/(a+bx)=dt. It's just a log.

Oh... shouldn't it work the way I did it anyway though? I thought I could always use an integrating factor if I wanted to...

I can't figure out how to separate it =/

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh... shouldn't it work the way I did it anyway though? I thought I could always use an integrating factor if I wanted to...

I can't figure out how to separate it =/

You can use an integrating factor if you do it half way carefully, sure. But where did t come from?? And how did it disappear at the end? You were being sloppy.

dx/(0.63 - (9x / 2060))=dt. There. It's separated. Now just integrate it.