1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order non linear boundary value pb

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    Hi there:

I am trying to solve a two points boundary value problem.
    Consider a function f:[x1,x2]->[x2,x3]

x1 and x3 are knowns
    x2 is an unknown parameter

f'(x) = exp( -a*x + b*f(x) )

where b>a>0

Two boundaries conditions:

f(x1) = x2
    f(x2) = x3

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2
    Consider the equation:

[tex]f'=e^{-ax}e^{bf}[/tex]

now, just separate variables and integrate.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    I agree, solving the ODE is rather easy. But the difficulty isn't here.
    The boundary conditions raise a very difficult problem:
    f(x1)=x2 and f(x2)=x3 with given x1, x3 and unknown x2
    In fact, x2 cannot be expressed with a combination of a finit number of usual functions of x1 and x3.
    In this case, we need numerical solving in order to compute x2 and then, the unknown constant C which is necessary to fully express f(x).

Attached Files:

• ODE.JPG
      ODE.JPG
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

The problem is that you have a first order equation and two unknowns and that isn't possible, for a boundary value problem you need a second order equation. One of your points could be an attractor which is possible but you would need to check that to begin with.

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5
    I do not agree. A second order equation is not needed.
    Apparently, there are two boundary conditions f(x1)=x2 and f(x2)=x3. But, in fact, there is only one bondary condition, which is : f(f(x1))=x3 with known x1 and x3. Since x2 is not known, only one relationship f(f(x1))=x3 is remaining.
    The ODE f'(x) = exp( -a*x + b*f(x) ) and the boundary condition f(f(x1))=x3, with given a, b, x1, x3 is a complete system, needing nothing more to be fully defined.

7. Apr 2, 2012 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So I misread the question, apologies, you basically have a differential equation of the form:
    [tex]
    e^{-bf(x)}\frac{df}{dx}=e^{-ax}
    [/tex]
    So to begin with, integrate between [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] to obtain:
    [tex]
    e^{-bf(x)}=e^{-bx_{2}}+\frac{b}{a}e^{-ax}-\frac{b}{a}e^{-ax_{1}}
    [/tex]
    And integrating between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}[/itex] to obtain:
    [tex]
    e^{-bf(x)}=e^{-bx_{3}}+\frac{b}{a}e^{-ax}-\frac{b}{a}e^{-ax_{2}}
    [/tex]
    Now from here I see two possible ways forward, you equate that equations and obtain an equation for [itex]x_{2}[/itex] and use Newtons method to find that or you can solve for the unknown term and obtain a implicit expression for [itex]f(x)[/itex] depending on the property of b/a. It's your choice. Do you have numerical values for [itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{3}[/itex], a and b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook