Determining if vectors in R3 are linear subspaces

In summary: You are showing that if x and y are in U, then so is (x1+y1)+(x2+y2). This shows that U is closed under vector multiplication.
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

U={(x1,x2,x3)[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ3 | x1+x2=0}
Is this a linear subspace of ℝ3?

Homework Equations

x1+x2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to be a linear subspace, it must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication. I'm just not really sure how to incorporate the x1+x2=0. This is what I've done:
x=(x1,x2,x3), y=(y1,y2,y3)
x+y=(x1,x2,x3)+(y1,y2,y3)=(x1+y1, x2+y2, x3+y3)
but how does this relate to x1+x2=0? there is no "x1+x2" to check... Confused please help!
Edit:
Do I simply just show this?
(x1+y1)+(x2+y2)=
(x1+x2)+(y1+y2)=0+0=0 (closed under addition)

cx=c(x1,x2,x3)=(cx1,cx2,cx3)
(cx1+cx2)=
c(x1+x2)=c(0)=0 (closed under scalar multiplication)
So it is a subspace?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
csc2iffy said:

Homework Statement

U={(x1,x2,x3)[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ3 | x1+x2=0}
Is this a linear subspace of U?
I'm sure this isn't the question. U is a set of vectors. The question is whether U is a linear subspace of R3.
csc2iffy said:

Homework Equations

x1+x2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to be a linear subspace, it must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication. I'm just not really sure how to incorporate the x1+x2=0. This is what I've done:
x=(x1,x2,x3), y=(y1,y2,y3)
x+y=(x1,x2,x3)+(y1,y2,y3)=(x1+y1, x2+y2, x3+y3)
but how does this relate to x1+x2=0? there is no "x1+x2" to check... Confused please help!

The key determinant of whether any vector <x1, x2, x3> is an element of U is whether its first two components of the vector add to 0.

Start with your two vectors x and y, and assume that they are in U. What can you say for certain about these two vectors? What can you say about their sum?

What can you say about kx, where k is a scalar?

I think I got it...
(x1+y1)+(x2+y2)=

(cx1+cx2)=
Thanks for your help!

csc2iffy said:
I think I got it...
(x1+y1)+(x2+y2)=

(cx1+cx2)=
Thanks for your help!
You should show a bit more, not just the calculations. For the first part, what you are doing is showing that if x and y are in U, then so is x + y. This shows that U is closed under vector addition.

Similar for the other part.

What is a vector in R3?

A vector in R3 is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (or length) and direction in three-dimensional space. It is typically represented as an ordered triple (x, y, z) where x, y, and z are real numbers.

What does it mean for a set of vectors to be a linear subspace in R3?

A linear subspace in R3 is a subset of R3 that satisfies two properties: closure under vector addition and closure under scalar multiplication. This means that when you add two vectors in the subspace, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace, and when you multiply a vector in the subspace by a scalar, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace.

How can I determine if a set of vectors in R3 is a linear subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors in R3 is a linear subspace, you can check if the vectors satisfy the two properties mentioned above: closure under vector addition and closure under scalar multiplication. If both properties hold, then the set of vectors is a linear subspace in R3.

What is the difference between a linear subspace and a vector space in R3?

A linear subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies two properties: closure under vector addition and closure under scalar multiplication. A vector space in R3, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that satisfies all the axioms of a vector space, including closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, as well as other properties such as associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

Can a set of vectors in R3 be a linear subspace if it does not contain the zero vector?

No, a set of vectors in R3 cannot be a linear subspace if it does not contain the zero vector. This is because the zero vector is necessary for the closure under scalar multiplication property to hold. If the zero vector is not in the set, then multiplying any vector in the set by a scalar will result in a vector that is not in the set, violating the property.