1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order nonlinear ordinary differential equation

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y' + Ay2 = B

A & B are constants and y is a function of x

Find the general solution to the differential equation. (Find y(x)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This differential equation came up when I was trying to solve a problem in physics. I have just learned to solve basic linear differential equations from high school and don't know how to start solving this or even if it's solvable without a computer. If somebody could give me a push in the right direction or tell me what I could study to be able to solve it, it would have been very nice :)

The only thing I've tried is differentiating it with respect to x, and getting this:

y'' + 2Ayy' = 0

I don't find this any easier because I have the y×y' there. So, any help would be nice ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Write the ODe in the following way:
    [tex]
    \frac{dy}{dx}=B-Ay^{2}
    [/tex]
    This equation is separable, divide by [tex]B-Ay^{2}[/tex] and integrate

Mat

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    This one is "separable" - which means it's solvable using integration. Rearrange to get
    [tex]
    \frac{dy}{B-Ay^2} = dx,
    [/tex]
    and do two integrals. There will be significant algebraic rearrangement involved to solve for y in terms of x.

You should probably reference a differential equations book.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the answers!
    That was really less painful than I expected :tongue: Don't know why I didn't think of that :uhh:
    Next problem now is solving the integral, but I think I should be able to do that myself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook