First order RC Circuit Table problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving filling out a table using node analysis and time constants. The problem mentions two separate time intervals, a charging interval and a discharging interval. The speaker asks for confirmation on their calculations so far and for help with the rest of the table. The other person suggests clarifying which interval the table is for and advises considering the time constant of the circuit before making assumptions.
k31453

Homework Statement

Hi I got this problem and have to fill out this table.
Untitled.png

4ea18d02-8e1f-4015-9006-64e73a38f53d-original.png

Homework Equations

node analysis
time constant = RC
ic(t)= C dVc(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I got few answers which i worked it out.

i (0-) = 0

Vc(0-) = 1.84

Vr(0-) = i (0-) * 10000

i (0+) = 0

Vc(0+) = 3.16

Vr(0+) = i (0-) * 10000

Am i right so far?
I don't know rest of them. the last column i know i have to use node analysis for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem description mentions two separate time intervals, a charging interval and a discharging interval. You haven't stated which interval is in play for the determination of the table values.

I understand but that's what it said... complete table 1.

gneill said:
The problem description mentions two separate time intervals, a charging interval and a discharging interval. You haven't stated which interval is in play for the determination of the table values.

k31453 said:

Okay, so pick one of the intervals and state which one you've chosen (somehow I suspect that they want you to fill out the table twice, once for each interval...).

Hint: Before you make assumptions about Vc(0-) be sure to compare the time constant of the circuit to the given switching interval.

1. What is a first order RC circuit table problem?

A first order RC circuit table problem refers to a type of circuit analysis problem that involves calculating the voltage and current values at different points in a circuit with resistors and capacitors connected in series. The circuit is called "first order" because it only contains one energy storage element, the capacitor.

2. How do I solve a first order RC circuit table problem?

To solve a first order RC circuit table problem, you first need to set up a table with columns for time, voltage across the capacitor, voltage across the resistor, and total circuit voltage. Then, use the equations Vc = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)) and VR = V0e^(-t/RC) to calculate the voltage values at different time intervals. Finally, plot the values on a graph to visualize the behavior of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of the RC time constant in a first order RC circuit?

The RC time constant, denoted by the symbol τ, represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage value. It is an important parameter in first order RC circuits as it determines the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges and affects the behavior of the circuit.

4. Can a first order RC circuit table problem have multiple capacitors?

Yes, a first order RC circuit can have multiple capacitors connected in parallel or series. However, the analysis becomes more complex as each capacitor will have its own time constant and will affect the overall behavior of the circuit. It is important to keep track of the voltage and current values for each capacitor in the table and plot them separately on the graph.

5. How does changing the resistor or capacitor value affect the behavior of a first order RC circuit?

Changing the resistor or capacitor value will affect the time constant of the circuit, which in turn affects the charging or discharging rate of the capacitor. A larger resistor or capacitor value will result in a longer time constant and slower charging or discharging, while a smaller value will result in a shorter time constant and faster charging or discharging. This can be observed in the graph of the circuit, where a larger resistance or capacitance will result in a flatter curve and a smaller resistance or capacitance will result in a steeper curve.