Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First seismic T-Phase events for 2015

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi everyone,
    Well we are into a new year and into new discoveries and observations

Yesterday morning, Jan 6th, 0548NZST ( 05 Jan 1748UT) there was a reasonable quake in the mountains of the central South Island of New Zealand M 6.0 GNZ ( M 5.6 USGS). Now the quake itself isn't unusual, NZ is prone to regular quakes because of its location straddling the Indo-Australian Plate and Pacific Plate boundary.
    What was unusual is that this is the first time I have seen/recorded T-phase waves from an inland event.
    All previous events have been under the seafloor, see previous thread .... https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/seismic-t-waves.785155/

This first image is of the long period seismogram to show the overall quake. The T-phase is not identifiable in this image as it is buried in amongst the surface waves

150105 174842UT M5.6 ( 6.0GNS) Sth Is event with T-phase1.jpg

This second image shows the P wave arrival at 1752UT and the T-Phase arriving at ~ 1810UT
    Note its amplitude is much larger than either the P or S arrivals ( actually the S wave arrival cannot be seen)

150105 174842UT M5.6 ( 6.0GNS) Sth Is event with T-phase .jpg

The surprises that this subject of seismology is still coming up with :)

cheers
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was going to ask about that. Been on the news for hours, and no post, I was starting to wonder.

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was out in the middle of nowhere. Arthur's Pass would have been about the closest community, maybe Cass. I have not heard of any damage reports. Tho many closer in probably did have crockery off shelves etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook