First Steps to Learning Basic Physics

In summary, the new person is looking to learn physics and wants to start with a review of basic math concepts. They want to learn about classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, but need some help understanding the math. They are looking for a book, website, or lecture to recommend.
mrwall-e
Hi,

I'm new here but want to get to know physics fairly well. This might sound strange, but I'm still in Middle School. My real interest in physics is to get to know QM, but I know I have to start somewhere :P.

My interest in physics began with a small group that learned from a college student, teaching us what I would call pre-calculus. It began with very simple stuff, reviewing operations with exponents and deriving equations, but eventually got to a level where the entire group could derive the formula of the area of a circle from the area of a square (still very basic, compared to most math). As you can see, no REAL formal math background. My math is basically Algebra I/II, and a little bit of PreCalc. I enjoy math and can learn it very quickly, but I have little support from teachers in my school except for a few.

I learned a little while ago that I would be participating in a chemistry class with a woman who has a PhD in chemistry, but again that will be very basic. I hope eventually chem/physics/biochem will become my field of study, but that is far in the future. Again, my motivation for learning physics is to understand chemistry better but I also hope to learn a lot about the world while I'm at it :P.

Basically, I'm looking for textbooks, websites, or lectures that you can recommend for me to learn some of the math required and the physics, too. I know I should begin with Classical Mechanics and work my way towards QM, but I need some of the math background to do so. I have resources so that if I have a basic math problem I can't solve, there are people I can ask for help.

PS. I'm really in 7th grade. :)
PPS. I know basic vectors and scalars, but that's about it. Anything I learned is really from WikiVersity.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Learn basic calculus.

fss said:
Learn basic calculus.

OK, teachers at my school aren't much help here in this area on a daily basis. Can you recommend any books that review Algebra and then get right started with calculus?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno? but i want to learn physics too :D

Aartt said:
I dunno? but i want to learn physics too :D

Yeah... I have access to textbooks and stuff I just don't know the right ones. :|

Ive just started to learn physics and all i know is the formula for average velocity and Scalars and Vectors :cry:

Aartt said:
Ive just started to learn physics and all i know is the formula for average velocity and Scalars and Vectors :cry:

Yeah... I've started a self-taught trig "course". So far I've covered sin, cos, and tan and someof their applications.

I know what trig is i just learned about it myself :D

The only textbooks I can recommend already assume a basic high school understanding of functions and calculus. There isn't much you would understand at your level even with a good textbook, because the fundamental mathematical knowledge you build through your high school career hasn't been built yet, and that is essential to understanding even the most basic physics concepts.

Best I can recommend is going to the high school you'll be attending and ask what textbooks they're using for calculus and physics, but even then, good luck understanding it to its fullest.

:( not even any middle school grade textbooks :(

middle school textbooks won't touch on anything anywhere near what's needed for a true understanding of fundamental physics. Undergraduate physics textbooks depend heavily on a complete understanding of integration and derivatives, not just at a single variable level but also at a multivariable level; being able to integrate around 3-dimensional surfaces and the such. A formal understanding of calculus is imperative to understand these concepts.

is there any good calculus textbooks that are like middle school math?

Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Phillips Thompson has the benefit of being public domain. Which means you can download it right now and get an idea if it is too advanced for you now.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283"

Aartt said:
is there any good calculus textbooks that are like middle school math?

Probably not but you don't need it for the basics basics. Ask your local high school what their first year class uses for physics books. Start from there. (You need to know some trig and have algebra down pat.)

Calculus comes later so don't stress it. I don't know about your schools but at my school there's not way you could take the basic physics course with applied calulus - many students don't even graduate with a single cal course! Thankfully I am in my first year cal and am able to take the higher level physics course that's suposed to be equivilant to a college first year course.

(One thing you might could look at is an AP book for the Physics B class if you're that into it. I would suggest Princeton Review because they explain things in ways that are easy to understand. Physics B has no calculus either so it might give you a good head start on many of the concepts. If you can go through that book as a middle schooler, I'd be seriously impressed! It might be too hard but you could try it. Look for it at your library or on amazon.com :) )

nocturne what is AP and Physics B? and Princeton Review?

nocturne-e said:
Probably not but you don't need it for the basics basics. Ask your local high school what their first year class uses for physics books. Start from there. (You need to know some trig and have algebra down pat.)

Calculus comes later so don't stress it. I don't know about your schools but at my school there's not way you could take the basic physics course with applied calulus - many students don't even graduate with a single cal course! Thankfully I am in my first year cal and am able to take the higher level physics course that's suposed to be equivilant to a college first year course.

(One thing you might could look at is an AP book for the Physics B class if you're that into it. I would suggest Princeton Review because they explain things in ways that are easy to understand. Physics B has no calculus either so it might give you a good head start on many of the concepts. If you can go through that book as a middle schooler, I'd be seriously impressed! It might be too hard but you could try it. Look for it at your library or on amazon.com :) )

I can usually grasp things fairly quickly. The only problem I foresee is that questions that are too easy to post here, I really have no-one to ask. :P But maybe this forum can help with that. I'm going to review my AlgebraII in the next few weeks (factoring, functions, etc.) and learn some trig (www.khanacademy.org[/url], a great website). Then maybe I can learn the basics of pre-calc from sites such as [url]www.CoolMath.com[/URL] and learn the requirements for simple calc. Meanwhile maybe I can work through basic Newtonian Physics. I will definitely look for a physics book like that.

Thanks

EDIT: Would this be a good book? [URL]http://amzn.to/hxFtkv[/URL] Expensive, but perhaps worth it.
EDIT2: Perhaps this would be a cheaper, better option: [URL]http://amzn.to/ekmzm4[/URL]

huh D: what is Algebra II and pre-calc and Newtonian Physics D: helpz please I am really confuzzled D:

Aartt said:
huh D: what is Algebra II and pre-calc and Newtonian Physics D: helpz please I am really confuzzled D:

Algebra II comes after algebra I and covers topics such as advanced functions, etc. Pre-Calc is precalculus, which is supposed to be preparations for calculus. It covers second degree equations and parabolas and stuff. Newtonian physics are simply Newtons laws and their derived equations.

PS. This is all based on observation, with no factual basis.

So where are did you learn all of that stuff? Book, Website?

mrwall-e said:
I can usually grasp things fairly quickly. The only problem I foresee is that questions that are too easy to post here, I really have no-one to ask. :P But maybe this forum can help with that. I'm going to review my AlgebraII in the next few weeks (factoring, functions, etc.) and learn some trig (www.khanacademy.org[/url], a great website). Then maybe I can learn the basics of pre-calc from sites such as [url]www.CoolMath.com[/URL] and learn the requirements for simple calc. Meanwhile maybe I can work through basic Newtonian Physics. I will definitely look for a physics book like that.

Thanks

EDIT: Would this be a good book? [PLAIN]http://amzn.to/hxFtkv [Broken] Expensive, but perhaps worth it.
EDIT2: Perhaps this would be a cheaper, better option: http://amzn.to/ekmzm4 [Broken]

There's a homework help forum here, you can post any questions on specific problems there.

Textbook prices are greatly inflated. If you are going to buy one for self study you should definitely buy an old edition used, as it will be literally a 1/10th the price. For example that first book you linked is the 3rd edition for $250. Here's the 2nd edition for $2.50:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Physics_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1579881"

To Aart
Algebra II is the math following Algebra I (in my high school, it is after Geometry) and builds up on what you have learned in Algebra I. It is harder than Algebra I, though not too much. You will be introduced to new material such as matrices, logarithms, conics, polynomials (?), and sequences and probability,.

Pre-Calculus is the math prior to Calculus. It is a summation of all the material from Algebra (I and II, though in II you will cover the same things as I) and Trigonometry. The one thing new thing you will learn (that I recall) here is polar coordinates. This math is to get you ready for Calculus.

Newtonian Physics is the physics that Newton developed such as his 3 laws of motion. Though it is different from modern physics, but it is essential for Classical Mechanics I believe. Someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong.

AP is short for "Advanced Placement." When you get to high school, you will have the choice to take AP classes. They are different from regular high school math as it more of a college level subject. At around May, there will be AP exams, if you pass it, you get college credit for it and you won't need to take it again. Despite that it can be challenging, I highly recommend you take these classes.

Physics B is an AP class in high school. It deals with a wide range of Physics like Motion, Forces, Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism, and more.

Really no need to know what Princeton Review is. That has nothing to do with Physics/Math. You will find out what it is soon enough.

As to mrwall-e: I suggest you learn some basic trigonometry (which I see you are doing a good job) and be fairly comfortable with Algebra. A Physics book I used in high school for AP Physics B (which does not require Calculus) is College Physics by Raymond A. Serway, Chris Vuille, and Jerry S. Faughn. By far a very good book for what you want to learn.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
thanks Ivan :D

Ivan92 said:
To Aart
Algebra II is the math following Algebra I (in my high school, it is after Geometry) and builds up on what you have learned in Algebra I. It is harder than Algebra I, though not too much. You will be introduced to new material such as matrices, logarithms, conics, polynomials (?), and sequences and probability,.

I want to say that matrices are more Linear Algebra, but perhaps that varies.

Ivan92 said:
As to mrwall-e: I suggest you learn some basic trigonometry (which I see you are doing a good job) and be fairly comfortable with Algebra. A Physics book I used in high school for AP Physics B (which does not require Calculus) is College Physics by Raymond A. Serway, Chris Vuille, and Jerry S. Faughn. By far a very good book for what you want to learn.

Best of luck :)

I will definitely look into that book. I'm also looking into precalc books such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0618052852/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Eventually, perhaps I will look into a calc book like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471381578/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Out of curiosity, where does that "College Physics" book begin physics-wise? Does it start from the beginning, or does it assume some physics knowledge?

Thanks so much for your help.

You are right, they are in Linear Algebra. Though, Matrices are introduced in Algebra II. These are the simple matrices, the ones in Linear Algebra should be more complex.

My favorite Pre-Calculus book is PreCalculus by Sullivan. It is a great book, though it can be pricey. For free Pre-Calculus textbooks, you can look in the "Math & Science Learning Materials" part of the forums. I don't know much about different Calculus books, but I hear 2 good authors are James Stewart and George B. Thomas.

For College Physics, It starts from the beginning. Some of the people in my AP Physics B class have never taken any Physics prior to that class. They go from Chemistry to AP Physics. So you should be in good hands :)

Have fun in your learning adventure! :D

Aartt said:
nocturne what is AP and Physics B? and Princeton Review?

Princeton Review books are study guides for the AP tests. They can be kind of expensive so I would buy a used, older version since it's cheaper. They are pretty easy to understand in my opinion so it may be worth checking.

@mrwall-e: I wouldn't break the bank on these books. Look for used, older versions as it's probably safe to assume that they haven't change much over the years. Our schools uses older editions anyway and I found mine for relatively cheap on Amazon.com.

My books is Tipler's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. I wouldn't particularly recomment it, though. I don't really like it.

Ivan92 said:
You are right, they are in Linear Algebra. Though, Matrices are introduced in Algebra II. These are the simple matrices, the ones in Linear Algebra should be more complex.

My favorite Pre-Calculus book is PreCalculus by Sullivan. It is a great book, though it can be pricey. For free Pre-Calculus textbooks, you can look in the "Math & Science Learning Materials" part of the forums. I don't know much about different Calculus books, but I hear 2 good authors are James Stewart and George B. Thomas.

For College Physics, It starts from the beginning. Some of the people in my AP Physics B class have never taken any Physics prior to that class. They go from Chemistry to AP Physics. So you should be in good hands :)

Have fun in your learning adventure! :D

Thanks so much for the extra info. I'll look into all of those books.

nocturne-e said:
Princeton Review books are study guides for the AP tests. They can be kind of expensive so I would buy a used, older version since it's cheaper. They are pretty easy to understand in my opinion so it may be worth checking.

@mrwall-e: I wouldn't break the bank on these books. Look for used, older versions as it's probably safe to assume that they haven't change much over the years. Our schools uses older editions anyway and I found mine for relatively cheap on Amazon.com.

My books is Tipler's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. I wouldn't particularly recomment it, though. I don't really like it.

I know what you mean about older editions and stuff, but perhaps my school would be willing to pay for certain books.

Thanks

I know this is sort of late, but an update.

I have ordered Precalculus by Sullivan 6th edition, and it should come soon.

I have College Physics as an ebook, so I can read it on the computer but I'm waiting to get some sort of e-reader to read it more like a book. It seems like it really does start from the beginning which is awesome. I'm also considering getting Algebra II & Trigonometry by Sullivan for review, but I'm not sure.

Thanks agains

PS. I ended up spending about $10 total, including shipping to purchase all three of those books.

Books and theory are OK, but Physics is an intensely practical subject.

You can do a huge amount of Physics with almost no mathematics - just the four basic operations add, subtract, multiply and divide along with an understanding of simple geometric concepts like area and volume and some simple shapes.

A basic understanding of what happens when we apply a stimulus to something

Heat it
Shine a light on it
Connect it to a battery
Hit it
Push it
Place it in water
etc

Along with noticing that our something has properties of its own such as colour, physical form (solid/liquid/gas), transparancy, fleibility, light emission, ...

Look around you and get a good hold on these ideas, they will stand you in good stead in the future.

go well

Studiot said:
Books and theory are OK, but Physics is an intensely practical subject.

You can do a huge amount of Physics with almost no mathematics - just the four basic operations add, subtract, multiply and divide along with an understanding of simple geometric concepts like area and volume and some simple shapes.

A basic understanding of what happens when we apply a stimulus to something

Heat it
Shine a light on it
Connect it to a battery
Hit it
Push it
Place it in water
etc

Along with noticing that our something has properties of its own such as colour, physical form (solid/liquid/gas), transparancy, fleibility, light emission, ...

Look around you and get a good hold on these ideas, they will stand you in good stead in the future.

go well

Thanks for your reply.

PS I liked the film.

1. What is the purpose of learning basic physics?

Learning basic physics helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It also provides a foundation for more advanced studies in various scientific fields such as engineering, astronomy, and medicine.

2. What are some key concepts in basic physics?

Some key concepts in basic physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts are used to describe and explain the behavior of objects in our universe.

3. How can I apply basic physics in everyday life?

Basic physics principles can be applied in various everyday situations, such as understanding how objects move, calculating the force needed to lift an object, or determining the energy required to perform a task. It can also help in making informed decisions, such as choosing the most energy-efficient option for household appliances.

4. What are some common misconceptions about basic physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for mathematically gifted individuals. While math is an important tool in physics, understanding the concepts and principles is more important than being able to solve complex equations. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant to theoretical concepts, when in fact it has numerous practical applications in our daily lives.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic physics?

To improve your understanding of basic physics, it is important to actively engage with the material by practicing problems, conducting experiments, and seeking clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to connect the concepts to real-life examples and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.